Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 12:26   #1

Boat: Cambria 44/46
Monitor vane w/Wheel users

Hi Friends,
I've reused my Monitor from my last, tiller steered boat onto my wheel steered boat. I have the option of leading the last turn of the control lines at hip height where it would be easy to attach and detach from the wheel leads or I can lead them down low where they would be easy to step over for access behind the wheel on both sides.

Those of you who have Monitors, what do you think? Easier hook up or easier access?

Yours,
Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 12:38   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Monitor vane w/Wheel users

Whatever minimizes the friction. Ours, on a center cockpit, goes from blocks on the stern rail to the edge of the foaming and then 90 degrees to the wheel. Stays hooked up most of the time unless we are anchored or tied up for several days since it is hard to get the tension right.
Old 25-06-2013, 13:06   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

+1 on AiniA on using as few blocks and fair leads as possible and practical. I initially fed my lines to the top of the cockpit coaming (aft cockpit) and then horizontal to the wheel drum. That worked well for two ocean passages, but it had the inconvenience of blocking access to one of the cockpit lockers. I now run the lines to a set of blocks near the cockpit sole and then up to the wheel drum. Same number of blocks and good leads so I think it works just as well (no recent ocean passages). Now I can open the locker, which allows me to leave the lines hooked up, even when at anchor.
http://www.svsarah.com/Sarah/ewUpgra...%20Wind%20Vane

John

edited to add link to website
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 13:14   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Should have added that you want really good, low friction blocks. We use two Ronstans and two Harkens because the configurations were best.

Tags
monitor