Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 23:11   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Mizzen stays'l

We were discussing the other day about Mizzen Stays'ls. Well I pulled my sail out and hoisted it up the Mizzen. I didn't have it flyign from the best positions as there was nothign on deck to attach to. So I took a line to the base of the main mast and then tensioned the sail up with the forward halyard on the mizzen mast. The sail was too big and I marked out where I ruffly thought it should fly from an out with a pair of scissors and zapped the foot off to the height I wanted. I had not eye in the "new clew", so I tied a sheet around that corner tail. The only way I could then sheet the sail was to take the sheet to the rail and tie it. By the time I had finished, I didn't have a whole lot of sail and it was not in the best position and it wasn't flying very well. But did it give the boat some legs in the light air. I was quite frankly astounded at the increase. I even dropped the sail and then watched the speed drop, raised the sail and watch it increase. SO I got all excited and marked out where I wanted to fit a pad eye to the deck and marked out on the sail the angle and shape it needs to be professionaly cut and sown to and hopefully I will have another gear to the boat speed. Although it is simple to handle and hoist, it is not something I would want up for short sailing trips. It is going to be best suited for longer range trips, were we set and forget it.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 00:35   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Alan,
You have discovered the wonders of the mizzen staysail! Congratulations! You probably remember that I said mine was sheeted to the aft end of the mizzen boom. That works really well because as you sheet the mizzen out and in the staysail goes out and in with it so you only have to worry about the mizzen sheet. You might remember too that I had two padeyes on the deck where I tacked down the tack of the sail. One on one side of the mast and a bit forward and another on the opposite side of the mast. I suppose one at the mast base would be ok too.
Wonderful sail isn't it?
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 00:58   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
But did it give the boat some legs in the light air. I was quite frankly astounded at the increase.
Good for you Alan, it's nice and normal to get a little excited when she moves a little faster . But I'm a little jealous because I only have one mast . I am working on geting and old drifter flying on my boat.

Good luck and more power too you man.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Bob Bitchin told me that he fitted mizzen spinnaker on the lost soul with amazing results.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17   #5

Boat: Lagoon 380 Owners Version
I kept up with a santa cruz 27 on my old full keeled privateer 26 using a mizzen staysail. Thing pulled like a freight train.
chad.lawie is offline   Reply With Quote