Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 14:00   #1

Mizzen running stays

I have a Pearson 365 ketch, which has mizzen running backstays. The manual says to keep the windward one clipped to a pad-eye on the corner of the transom, and the leeward one clipped to a pad-eye further forward, just aft of the mizzen mast. When clipped to the transom, the running backstays interfere with the mizzen boom, limiting the extent of accidental jybes, and that seems like a good thing. Also, one of them can be used as a preventer when running while the other one keeps the mizzen mast from bending forward, and that seems like a good thing too. Plus, since this rig has a triatic that ties the tops of the masts together, tensioning the mizzen running backstays also tensions the foresail luff, which is yet another good thing when sailing to windward.

But when I first got the boat, I remember that the mizzen running backstays were clipped to the tips of the dinghy davits! Since the davits are just through-bolted to the transom, with the force on the running backstays being levered something like 10:1 to a small patch of fiberglass, this arrangement seems completely non-structural, so I'd never sail like that. But (and here comes my crazy idea) what if I added two pad-eyes low down on the outside of the transom, just above the swim step, and ran short lengths of wire rope from them to the tips of the dinghy davits (which are used for the solar panels, not for the dinghy, which seems a lot happier on deck in front of the mast)? Then I could keep the mizzen running backstays permanently attached to the tips of the dinghy davits, all forces would be dealt with reasonably, and I would never have to move another running backstay again when tacking or jybing (which would help, since I mostly single-hand).

So, what's your opinion? Is this 1. nuts; 2. a waste of $200 in parts plus an afternoon; or 3. totally reasonable?
Dmitry Orlov is offline   Reply With Quote