Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2017, 16:38   #31

Re: Milwaukee Right Angle Drill with Harken Chuck

I have a "winchrite" power winch that I bought when I separated my shoulder just before an extended cruise. It has similar specs as the hole hawg in terms of torque but is considerably cheaper, lighter, and appears more weatherproof. Some people say they are useless, many others swear by them.
As it turned out I didn't need it and to date it still sits in cockpit locker, unused.
In terms of mast climbing, one piece of indispensable kit I use is a simple loop of line that goes from my harness, then once around the mast and back to the harness with about 6 inches of slack As I am winched up, I slide the loop up the mast ahead of me at about head level. If the halyard or whatever I am going up on breaks or slips, the loop around the mast instantly catches and checks your fall. You have to stop at spreaders and reposition the line but this is a small price for the added safety.

Old 13-09-2017, 17:09   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I have a "winchrite" power winch that I bought when I separated my shoulder just before an extended cruise. It has similar specs as the hole hawg in terms of torque but is considerably cheaper, lighter, and appears more weatherproof.
while the torque specs are indeed similar, the current price for the Winchrite is 599 UKP verse the above reported 489 USD for the Milwaukee. The Millies exchangeable batteries are an additional advantage IMO, plus if needed, it is a very useful drill in its original role.

Jim

Old 13-09-2017, 19:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
while the torque specs are indeed similar, the current price for the Winchrite is 599 UKP verse the above reported 489 USD for the Milwaukee. The Millies exchangeable batteries are an additional advantage IMO, plus if needed, it is a very useful drill in its original role.

Jim
You are right about the price. Sorry for the misinformation. I assumed it was cheaper because why else would i have bought it??? I think now the problem with the Millie was that it was going to take an extra week to arrive and I didn't want to delay my trip any further.

Thanks for the fact check. Too easy to fire off a reply without really thinking.
Old 15-09-2017, 01:02   #34

I have one and it's a godsend. I'm sure it will add ten years to my sailing life (I'm 70). It's the SECOND most useful piece of gear aboard - after the auto-pilot.

Tags
Harken

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: