Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 01:31   #1

Boat: Liberty 49
Milwaukee 0721 angle drill

I'm really tempted to buy one of these to help with sail furling. However being in Europe I have to import one and so can't see the thing before buying. In particular I want to be sure it will not be too heavy for my wife, who is not strong, to use. Does anyone know what this machine weighs? Milwaukee have been distinctly unhelpful.
Cheers,
Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Milwaukee 0721 angle drill

If this is the 28 V one, it isn't light, I don't know the weight and have no way to measure it, but if weight is a concern, I'd be sure to get the cranker bit, which replaces the chuck and cuts down on the weight a lot. Normally a bit of course goes into the chuck, so you have the weight of both right on the end.
I'd guess it's about 5 kg? But that is a guess.
It takes both hands to insert and remove it, but once there it hangs in the winch just like a regular handle of course so your only dealing with the weight putting it in and removing it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Milwaukee 0721 angle drill

#0721-20 weighs 8.6 Lbs.
#0721-21 weighs 10.9 Lbs

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:28   #4

Boat: Heritage 35

One think to consider is the charging system it is probably 110V.
Kalinka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:39   #5

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I have 2 in the workshop, best investment so far.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:19   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka1 View Post
One think to consider is the charging system it is probably 110V.
It is, and while it may exist, I haven't seen a 12VDC one.
Good point.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:23   #7

There is a charger for 220 v/ac to.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:24   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I have one but have loaned it to a friend. It is heavy, but once locked into the winch, the drill is supported by the winch. Your wife would just need to watch her balance when moving the machine to the winch and inserting it, but it locks in place. My Milwaukee (called a cinch winch) turns in both directions with the flip of a switch in the case. I think mine was 18V. The battery is detachable and it comes with a charger, which plugged into a 110V system. I have two batteries. Two batteries allowed me to raise my buddy to the masthead to change the light bulb, etc. One battery could get him to the top set of spreaders, the second batter to the masthead.

Good machine. Kept it in a little gym-bag like zippered container to keep spray out/off.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikecoin View Post
I'm really tempted to buy one of these to help with sail furling. However being in Europe I have to import one and so can't see the thing before buying. In particular I want to be sure it will not be too heavy for my wife, who is not strong, to use. Does anyone know what this machine weighs? Milwaukee have been distinctly unhelpful.
Cheers,
Mike
Great comments so far as its a really good tool.

I think your wife has to find some way to try it.... I think its not really for weak people.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody46CC View Post
I have one but have loaned it to a friend. It is heavy, but once locked into the winch, the drill is supported by the winch. Your wife would just need to watch her balance when moving the machine to the winch and inserting it, but it locks in place. My Milwaukee (called a cinch winch) turns in both directions with the flip of a switch in the case. I think mine was 18V. The battery is detachable and it comes with a charger, which plugged into a 110V system. I have two batteries. Two batteries allowed me to raise my buddy to the masthead to change the light bulb, etc. One battery could get him to the top set of spreaders, the second batter to the masthead.

Good machine. Kept it in a little gym-bag like zippered container to keep spray out/off.

Your batterys are toasted , we can do 2 masts in one battery..
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
There is a charger for 220 v/ac to.
There is also a 12v charger that will replenish the batteries (at least our 18v batteries) in about 1-1/2 hours. Our "electric winch handle" is now 10+ years old and just keeps going and going. We're on our 3rd set of batteries but they are worth the investment. When getting a heavy workout, one battery is on the 12v charger while the other is in use so we're (almost) always good to go.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The older and maybe the 18V were I think Ni-cad batteries.
Newer "M" batteries are I believe Li-Ion, and I believe the capacity is much higher.
The reference to 110VAC charge or 220VAC for that matter is of course the requirement for an inverter to recharge, so if you don't have AC power on the boat, that is something else to buy.
At least I think that is why it was brought up
Old 08-04-2016, 07:13   #13

Boat: Liberty 49

Thanks everyone for your valuable information. I hadn't twigged that the weight of the drill is taken by the winch once the bit has been inserted. Obvious when you think about it.

According to the Cranker people there isn't a 12V charger for the latest generation of battery (M28) but a 220V one can be had. The UK Milwaukee rep tells me 220V chargers are also available in Europe as a spare part but has impressed on me that if I import one there will be no warranty. Is that even relevant for such a heavy duty product?

I have 220 and 110 on board so either charger will be OK.

Anyway, you've all convinced me to go ahead and buy one. Thanks to all.

Cheers,
Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:43   #14

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall
Thumbs up Re: Milwaukee 0721 angle drill

I just purchased the 0721 unit this past winter, it has been strong enough to winch my 250 pound butt 64 feet to the top of the main mast at least twice without recharging. My "admiral" at the winch is a pettite lady, and has no trouble handling the drill. As others have said, once in place, it stays there like a winch handle.

We also opted for only the winch bit in the standard chuck. Yes, it's a bit heavier but not so much that my 115 pound "admiral" can't handle it.
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:20   #15

Boat: O'Day 40

I had the same concerns about weight so bought the WinchRite. Only 2.9 kg and nicely balanced. The included bracket makes it easy to have handy.
I also wondered about having nearly 5kg of steel to keep under control.