Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 14:18   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Try a running back stay. Put a temporary tang around the mast. Rope, held up by a set of spreaders and down to an aft block and round the windward genoa winch.
Definitely with you on the running backstays.diamonds on the upper section should stiffen the mast but wont do the job on their own as the loaded sail is always goijg to put some bend in the mast. The runners should stop the pumping as you go over the waves. Had runners for years on our cutter and despite being a bit of a pain setting up if short tacking do at least give you an extra half knot or so.
yachtchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 14:34   #17

Re: Mid-section of mast pumping when beating into choppy seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Could you not install a split baby stay, so that it runs to new chainplates on either side, rather than removing the hoyt bom? BTW, what's a hoyt bom?
yeah, no reason the baby stay cant be split and taken to the toe rail is there?
Although I wonder if forward support is the issue... The swept back spreaders are pushing forward already... maybe you need some stays in back like short running back stays to the aft chainplate on each side....?
This pumping is not uncommon even on older style rigs....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:08   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Mid-section of mast pumping when beating into choppy seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
BTW, what's a hoyt bom?
Look here: Sail Hoyt Jib Boom System
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 15:14   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
yeah, no reason the baby stay cant be split and taken to the toe rail is there?
Although I wonder if forward support is the issue... The swept back spreaders are pushing forward already... maybe you need some stays in back like short running back stays to the aft chainplate on each side....?
This pumping is not uncommon even on older style rigs....
One is confused! What the hell would you gain by putting in a split baby stay? It'd completely screw up getting the jib to set properly in any case. A baby staywanted to know what a Hoyt is usually there to stiffen up the rig in the fore/aft line, the lowers should limit athwartships displacement on the mast, and the runners would work in conjunction with the baby stay. Given the babystay doesn't seem to be the desired option some diamonds should go some way towards stiffening the mast in column, and the runners would help to stop the pumping, though without foreward suport I doubt they'd copletely eliminate it. The aft raked spreaders are hoing to put some pre bend in the mast which should flatten the sail and so long as the runners are coming from somewhere near the spreaders, they should work against them and at least ease the pumping. Another thing is if your main is stretched/too full, that isn't going to help the situation either. For the lady who wanted to know what a Hoyt jib is, it's a self tacking one. Hope this helps
yachtchance is offline   Reply With Quote