Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-02-2015, 14:31   #1

McMurry windlasses

Can anyone tell me the quality and capabilities of the McMurry windlass? I know they are out of business in Oregon?! I see they are now made in China, though the sight doesn't give much in the way of tech data. I am looking at an older original 1. Any info would be appreciated!!!! Mike

Old 26-02-2015, 17:16   #2

Boat: Work: Ships/Tugs Play: Grand Banks 36
Re: McMurry windlasses

The old McMurrys were made in Seattle. I have had two boats with them over the years; a 36' trawler and 42' sailboat both with fairly heavy ground tackle. Never had any issues. They are quite simple and fairly durable. I don't think they're still around and certainly any product with that name out of China is not the same as the old ones.

Some parts are available, if needed. The motors are old Ford tractor starter motors. Check out this thread for more info.

McMurray Windlass info

Old 26-02-2015, 18:05   #3

Hi Waterman! does 5k working load sound right. Owner said windlass is 12" high (top of cleats) 12" wide (out diameter of chain gypsy to rope capsan It seam small dimensionally for the power!!!!?
Old 26-02-2015, 23:49   #4

Boat: Work: Ships/Tugs Play: Grand Banks 36

Mike,

That sounds very high. I would guess 1k max and even then you'd have to be cognizant of the motor overheating. You shouldn't be putting anywhere near that much weight on a small boat windlass anyways. Use the engine/weight of the boat to break the anchor free off the bottom. The windlass should mostly just be picking up the dead weight of the anchor and whatever chain/rode is still out and off the bottom. In typical anchoring depths, that's maybe 200-300 lbs or so.

Those physical dimensions seem about right. The actual mounting footprint is long in the fore/aft and fairly narrow across.

If you didn't know, the casing is all bronze. I like the look of the units - a sort of no-nonsense "get 'er done" combined with a certain grace.
Old 27-02-2015, 06:07   #5

Hey Waterman Thanks for the reply! Yeah I thought that it was high. I know that about moving up on the anchor and all. I've always done that! I was/am looking for a horizontal, and that one dimensionally size wise would have fi the bill. I'll keep looking!!!! Have a great day!!!

Tags
wind, windlass

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: