Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2019, 10:44   #1
rjg

Boat: DE, Cutter, 38' 1979
masthead sheaves

Hello all, any thoughts on replacing or cleaning the sheaves @ masthead as they are seized. will be droping the mast to address compression post deflection, most likely wait untill then to do sheaves and rewire.
rjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:50   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: masthead sheaves

Replacing or freeing up seized sheaves sounds like a good idea. Especially when you’re taking the mast down anyway. Why would anyone think otherwise?
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:12   #3

This is not an optional repair. If the sheaves don't turn, it is not long before the rope wears them flat, and then wears them more... and more... and then the rope jams. Murphy says the jam will occur with the sail half way up, and then be unable to put it up OR down.

In my opinion, take the mast down is the only option for this repair. Going up the mast on a halyard running on a seized sheave is not a good idea.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:33   #4
rjg

Thank you for your responses, it is definitely my intentions to replace the sheaves. The boat had been sitting for five years before buying it with little if any maintenance, so what I was wondering is it customary to service the sheaves without droping the mast so they don't get to this state in the future. As you all know, (and I am learning) there are many facets of a sailboat, so I may post some more foolish questions no doubt, please bear with me if you will. Thanks, Ray..
Old 09-11-2019, 08:57   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You might involve a rigger at the time. Do a full inspection and ask about the sheaves. Ours are all plastic with large axles and continue to run well after many years. Some boats have metal sheaves with press in journal bearings. There can be a bi-metal reaction here that swells parts together. This may also make removing the axle difficult.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:12   #6
rjg

thank you I will heed your advice.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31   #7

Boat: 29 ft

Taking the mast down every year and inspecting / maintaining it was considered good practice. Not sure, why this apparently has come out of fashion. If you want a reliable rigg, I guess having the mast down every year for inspections and maintenance is still the best way.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:37   #8

Sending a rigger up the stick every six months for a thorough inspection plus a good rigging inspection is working for us.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 18:28   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesti View Post
Taking the mast down every year and inspecting / maintaining it was considered good practice. Not sure, why this apparently has come out of fashion. If you want a reliable rigg, I guess having the mast down every year for inspections and maintenance is still the best way.
Wooden masts NEEDED at least yearly inspections and maintenance, so it was definitely good practice. Aluminum masts are less prone to rot and don’t require varnish or paint. Inspections are still good practice, but doesn’t have to be done with the mast down. Pulling masts is expen$ive, and with fewer wooden masts, it has gotten less prevalent.

The OP may find that giving his sheaves a good cleaning and a shot of lubrication is all they need to last another 10-15 years. Maybe the halyards are stuck because they’ve jumped the sheaves. Having a good look with the mast down will be a good learning experience.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 18:19   #10

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg View Post
Thank you for your responses, it is definitely my intentions to replace the sheaves. The boat had been sitting for five years before buying it with little if any maintenance, so what I was wondering is it customary to service the sheaves without droping the mast so they don't get to this state in the future. As you all know, (and I am learning) there are many facets of a sailboat, so I may post some more foolish questions no doubt, please bear with me if you will. Thanks, Ray..
It can be done, but its a hell of a lot easier w the mast down.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast