Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 02:08   #1

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40
Masthead layout. Ideal setup...

While my mast is out I may as well do what I can on the masthead.

Figure I'll run a vhf antenna. I am amazed there is no smart powered antennas out there than can run the signal up through a small wire instead of a heavy coax.

I'll need a few lights. And a big windex. I have no desire for electronic wind instruments.

I want the option of adding a code zero type furler when and if budget allows. I have two big spinaker bales. Hopefully they will do nicely, Prehaps rig one as a two to one halyard, and the other one to one for a regular kite. I might need another bale for the standing part of the 2:1?

I wonder what new technology I have missed, or if there are any clever, simple and cheap ways to integrate this gear into a pretty tight bit of real estate.

Any photo's would be interesting.

Cheers
Old 05-07-2018, 02:21   #2

Re: Masthead layout. Ideal setup...

A rather poor photo of the original masthead, now stripped. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180612_142200.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	173050
Old 05-07-2018, 02:43   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

A bigger Windex will just attract bigger shitehawks and Johnny Rooks......

One thing I fitted years ago was a small light... I think it was made by Davis... to illuminate the Windex when I was not using using the trilight.... good little bit of kit..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	173051  
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:01   #4

Ha Ping, I'll be absolutely ecstatic if a Johnny Rook rips the whole lot to bits and then craps all over the deck, because at least I'll have got her to the falklands.

Great idea about the windex light. Definitely to come up with one of them.

Also I loved the Strobe light on Snow Petrel1 I wonder where you can buy them from?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32   #5

A couple more thoughts, AIS, splitter vs a transom mount antenna?

Lightning protection?

LED masthead lights, any recommendations, or to avoid? 12.2 meter boat so I need the bigger size. Not sold on a tricolor, but if I can get one that combines an alround white as well in a small reasonable priced unit I may go for it.

Vhf antenna with combined windex seems like a clever idea.

Another thought is to fabricate a lightweight alloy plate that bolts onto the masthead to attach all the gadets onto. If the plate was easily removable I can take it off and install new gear, or juggle stuff around without having to work aloft and drill a heap of new holes in the top. A whole new plate could easily be made and installed if need be.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:11   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

My personal preferences:

Only one VHF antenna on the masthead, find another home for other antennas. Exit the coax a few inches below the masthead, form a drip loop and clamp to antenna with a Al P clamp.

Mount anchor LED on a small pole (10mm x say 200mm) so it sits above all the other stuff that ends up on the masthead.

No to lightning bottle brush - I have had them but I reckon the science for them is sketchy to say the least. Just have a solid mounting point near the base of the mast for the grounding cable.

How many conduits are in the mast? Now it the right time to make sure you have enough for future additions.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:25   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

Also I loved the Strobe light on Snow Petrel1 I wonder where you can buy them from?
There are really good aviation LED strobes around these days. If it's good enough to work on the tail boom of a helicopter, it will love a slow moving and steady mast. However, there is some low quality aviation stuff as well...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40   #8

Thanks Wottie, very good suggestions. At the moment I don't have a coax outlet, so that is probably the way to do it. What do you mean by Al p clamp?

Internal wiring will be a problem as the mast doesnt have any wiring conduits, so I'll have to come up with a plan. Not sure I I can run the coax uo the same one as the normal wiring. I've heard stories about vhf and LED interferance.

I like the sound of those LED strobes. Have to visit the local helecopter wreckers and see if I can find an old taillight..
Old 05-07-2018, 08:31   #9

Boat: Catalina 30

I would not be so quick to dismiss an electronic wind/air pressure/temperature instrument. Yes, you need a good one, like any electrical device. Cabled instead of wireless, especially since you have the mast down.

A light to illuminate the windex may be confused with either an anchor light or other official masthead light. (Stern or steaming light.) IIRC, that is against COLREGS.

If you have biminis or other covering, craning your neck around to try to see the windex can be problematic.

Staring up into the sun can make the windex nearly impossible to see.

Data can be graphed, so air temp/pressure can be used to help determine weather.

At the VERY least, run a NMEA2000 cable up the mast even if you don't want anything now. That way it will be there if you later want something there. (Remember cables should not hang from their connectors!)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:50   #10

Boat: KP 46

A windex light and (I use the power for the windex light) a small "lipstick tube" camera (you can buy them on amazon for about $60) I have had one at masthead for 7 years and it still works fine.
I feed it to the screen on a fwd bulkhead and (since I singlehand most of the time) I can keep an eye out when I go below to make dinner etc. Also interesting on bridges.

M
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mh1.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	173078  
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:45   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
a small "lipstick tube" camera (you can buy them on amazon for about $60) I have had one at masthead for 7 years and it still works fine.
Interesting. I thought about some type of camera at the masthead but wondered how often I would have to go up to clean the lens. Does it ever get clouded up with 'stuff' from 'anywhere' and need cleaning?
Old 05-07-2018, 11:11   #12

Boat: KP 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Interesting. I thought about some type of camera at the masthead but wondered how often I would have to go up to clean the lens. Does it ever get clouded up with 'stuff' from 'anywhere' and need cleaning?
I have had it get blurry a few times but rain or dew clears it up. Never had to go up and wipe it. Thought about it a few times but it always clears up. I wrapped it with rigging tape around the screw on cover, I think that helps keep it waterproof.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:32   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

converted to internal halyards so I made an aluminum plate that incorporated the wind instrument, windex, VHF and Nav lights into a plate that covered up the two holes that were drilled for the halyards.

Name:	20150322_143555.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	435.1 KB
ID:	173094

Name:	20150319_084458.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	173095
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 14:48   #14

Boat: 85 Endeavor 35' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisanmach View Post
converted to internal halyards so I made an aluminum plate that incorporated the wind instrument, windex, VHF and Nav lights into a plate that covered up the two holes that were drilled for the halyards.
Attachment 173094

Attachment 173095
That is neat. do you have a drawing? I would like to do something on that order. SMART
texingram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 15:19   #15

On the anchor light suggestion. There is a school of thought (which I also subscribe to) that one is better off not having the anchor light at mast head, some 50' to 70' in the air. Rather, lower, 10' to 25' above deck and giving some illumination to & reflection off the deck. Your risk of getting hit at anchor is usually from recreational boaters & small commercial craft whose helmsmen and lookouts are closer to the water and looking horizontally, not 60' in the air (the added flashing LED hang up lights are, in IMHO, very effective in drawing attention to an anchored boat). I have seen too many accidents & near misses where an anchor light is not seen as it at mast head &/or blended in with other back ground lights.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, mast