Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2015, 09:49   #1

Mast tie rods revisited

I am going to bring my main halyard and reefing lines back to the cockpit. The boat is a 1969 S&S 34 whose cabin roof is a bit flexible. Most systems seem to install tie rods from the mast ring to the mast below deck. What is wrong with the system in the drawing attached?
Stainless steel angle riveted or bolted to the mast above and in contact with the mast ring. They will be covered by the mast boot and allow space for a SS fabricated angle which will take all the pullies (reefing lines, kicker, halyard, topping lift etc.) I might put an HDPE shim between the angle and the mast ring.
The deck cannot move, the mast can be removed without removing them, mast wedges still fit...... what can be wrong? What have I missed?

Hope the drawing attached is visible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Assem1 V3.pdf (436.4 KB, 108 views)
Rikds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast