Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2009, 18:20   #1

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
Mast Stepping at the Dock

I have an Ericson 29 with an "I" dimension of 36.5 ft. has anyone had any experience with unstepping a mast of this size at the dock. I am thinking along the lines of an "A" frame as in the attachment. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated. I do have four kids that are willing to take a hit for the team and throw themselves under the mast if it falls toward another boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast_a frame.jpg
Views:	1340
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	11087  
West Coast Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 18:30   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
As a matter of fact, I was part of a group that helped a buddy with an Ericson 35 tall rig unstep/restep in a slip. We did it by putting two larger boats on either side of his, and then using the halyards from each outboard boat. Some sort of harness was rigged around the spreaders, but I wasn't on that particular committee.

What I remember most, was that great deal of beer needed to be consumed to make this work.
Old 13-11-2009, 18:47   #3

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
Is there any marina or club near you with a gin pole?
Very easy to use. Usually only cost a few dollars.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 19:51   #4

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
What I remember most, was that great deal of beer needed to be consumed to make this work.
Sign me up..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 19:19   #5

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
The only masts I've seen done at the dock involved boats with a tabernacle. We have half a dozen Grampian 26s with 32' masts but they are deck stepped, and have a tiny little shoe on the bottom of the mast which gets a hinge pin in it. The lads use a 10 foot pole with a couple of plates at one end that fit the hinge. The pole is attached to the hinge, and projects flat along the deck forward from the mast. Its upper end is attached to the spar with lines and the mainsheet is then used attached between the pole end and the bow fitting. The lower forward shrouds are let go, the upper is slacked off a tad and the rear lowers are left as is. This gives support to the stick as it pivots aft. You end up with about 20 feet of mast stuck out over the stern rail. Its fairly easy.

My boat has an 18 inch high tabernacle and the pin goes thru the mast. I also use a pole about 10 foot long. The plates at the end go around the mast and the hinge pin holds it. It projects forward parallel to the deck and the end is attached to a strop secured just below the spreaders. Then my mainsheet is attached to the end of the pole, and the other end to my samson post. Same thing, gently lower away. Only in this case you end up with about 25 feet of mast over the water. You need a few people to sit on the butt end when you pull the hinge out or the mast will upend and go down off the stern end.

The secret in both of these is that the butt end of the mast is always controlled. Its never free to move except along the fore/aft line.

In your case it appears that you are deck stepped but have no hinge. So if you are going to use shear legs, you will need to attach the lifting tackle to the mast at just above the center of gravity so that it is balanced. Once that is done, you should be able to lift it an inch or so and then walk the butt end forward while lowering away on the lifting tackle. Since you must release ALL the standing rig, You will need a couple of people to walk the mast butt forward, and a couple to keep tension on the lower shrouds as the mast comes down so it doesn't start moving from side to side.

It can be done, thats how they got spars into the hulls of large sailing ships. Just be verrry careful.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 12:19   #6

Thanks Sabre, you are correct - mast is deck stepped with no hinge, my local boatyard wants around $500.00 to pull it and replace if I do all the work of removing the sail / boom / furler / backstay and loosening all the shrouds before coming to their dock. This is their low estimate and knowing boatyards I imagine it could get higher.

I believe the mast weighs less than 80 lbs. so using the a-frame as shown above I am thinking three adults ( sober, no offense to Bash ), could handle this.
Old 17-11-2009, 12:50   #7

Boat: Sceptre 36
As stated by BASH, get between two sailboats and use their halyards. Have done this a couple of times and is quite simple and safe.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 13:49   #8

Rex Delay, thanks for the input, I am thinking the two boat option will not work where I am at, the consensus on my dock was that the halyards with the side loading would be off the sheaves and chafe against the masthead(s) - not to mention that three boats all moving at a different time / rate when the any other boats go by. I have a derelict power boat next to me that hasn't moved for years, and a Catalina 30 on the other side that I have never seen anyone on, and I don't think the others would want me next to them in case the darn thing went sideways - that is probably why they were so helpful with the boatyard info.
Old 17-11-2009, 14:00   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Seen masts taken off and then placed back in between masts of neighbouring boats in Richards Bay. So, if you have neighbours on both sides and if they are nice guys you may be able to use their masts as an ad hoc crane.

The exact procedure can be probably googled out.

b.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 14:05   #10

Here is a video of the method described in OPs attachment:
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 15:02   #11

Boat: Sceptre 36
Is there a sheltered anchorage near? Spinnaker halyards will overcome the twist factor.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 17:21   #12

Rain Dog - this is the video of what I am talking about, though the Catalina 27 mast is a little shorter and lighter, I'm thinking I will beef up the 2 x 4 braces with another 2 x 4 to make each leg like a tee. No one has said this is a stupid idea so I'll go for it. Thanks to all for the input.

Seven stages of any boat project:

1. WILD ENTHUSIASM
2. DISILLUSIONMENT
3. TOTAL CONFUSION
4. FEAR AND LOATHING
5. SEARCH FOR THE GUILTY
6. PUNISHMENT OF THE INNOCENT
7. PRAISE AND GLORY FOR THE NON-PARTICIPANTS
Old 18-11-2009, 17:33   #13

No club nearby with a cherry picker?

It's big enough that you are not going to do it easily but if you decide to go ahead make sure you are above the balnce point.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 18:41   #14

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Cat View Post
Thanks Sabre, you are correct - mast is deck stepped with no hinge, my local boatyard wants around $500.00 to pull it and replace if I do all the work of removing the sail / boom / furler / backstay and loosening all the shrouds before coming to their dock. This is their low estimate and knowing boatyards I imagine it could get higher.

I believe the mast weighs less than 80 lbs. so using the a-frame as shown above I am thinking three adults ( sober, no offense to Bash ), could handle this.
man are they ever hosing you!. I had Sabre Dances' dropped, and put up for $3.50 a foot at one of the most expensive marinas in Toronto area in 2008. And they ended up using boat length instead of spar length so it came to $266 down and up again.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 19:09   #15

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
A bridge?
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast