Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-11-2009, 22:34   #16

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
A big tree with an overhanging limb?

Old 19-11-2009, 00:25   #17

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Bring the boat over to a spare berth near shore and get a franna

$80 an hour and 20 minutes to take off using a spectra halyard with a bowline in the end for the lift with a spinny or heady halyard as backup.

Old 19-11-2009, 06:57   #18

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
The method you are planning to use is sound.I have a friend who bought an old Pearson Ariel on E bay and he left yesterday with truck and trailer to go pick it up in Maryland and he is going to get the mast down exactly as in that video.The old Ericson masts are a good size stick,pulling that 35s mast would have been fun,those things are a monster,we have one in the yard and i took it down but with a crane.As far as charges go we dont have our own crane so when a mast has to come down we try to schedule a few for the same day and then have a mobile crane service come in and do them all together which reduces the cost to the customers,they charge $150/hr and we can pull 4 masts in an hour.This way we use well maintained,way oversize equipment with a pro operator and their insurance.Its worked out much better than the poorly maintained marginal equipment i see at many marinas.It can be a little costly if we cant schedule more than 1 mast though.
Steve.
Old 19-02-2010, 09:30   #19

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
I dropped the mast at the slip w/ the A-frame method, rebuilt the masthead with the Garhauer ball bearing sheaves, drilled out the top of the masthead and the top of the mast cap to run internal halyards. Installed two double exit blocks close to the base. Now I have four halyards, well three with a spare, I installed a rigid vang so no need for the topping lift anymore.

Though the mast with all the attachments i.e. shrouds, winches, etc., was much heavier than I expected, the "A" frame worked great, only one guy from the harbor patrol who does not grasp the concept of physics had a challenge with it. Only problem was the lifting point ( just under the lower shroud attachments ) was below the center of gravity. This actually worked our in my favor as no lifting or heavy carrying was involved with bringing the mast base forward to the bow pulpit, not much weight was required to hold it down either.

My wife and three kids 9, 11, and 17 stepped the mast in about an hour last weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090021.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	13344   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090024.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	13345  

Old 19-02-2010, 10:06   #20

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity
I have used the A-Frame method 100+ times to raise and lower a mast on a J/24 when we were traveling every other weekend to regatta's around the SE. It works, and it works well.
Things to watch for.
#1 - You need to make sure the point you attach to the mast to lift from is near to the center of the mast. Once it starts to go horizontal it will fall very fast and out of control if it is not balanced. An easy way to do this is to tie a dockline in a bowline with the loop around the mast and then tie your lifting line to this loop. Raise the loop up the mast till it is where you want it and then tie off the tail of the dockline someplace secure on the mast. I tied too low one day and took out the windshield of a neighboring powerboat.
#2 - Wind. It is amazing how much force can be exerted on the mast in a cross wind. Taking down the mast one day in 25 knots at the end of a regatta in a cross breeze and it came down almost 45 degrees to the fore/aft centerline of the boat.

Good Luck and take it slow.
--Eric
Old 19-02-2010, 15:28   #21

Boat: Morgan Nelson / Marek 36
Eric

You're correct about the breeze, a little crosswind does go a long way, now add on the additional ten feet of the E29 mast, though having a nine year old hang on to the shroud on the windward side seemed to help, though if it started to go I told him to just let go..... The actually toughest thing was raising the A-frame, the six twelve foot 2 X 4(s) are pretty heavy themselves. The headsail halyard was jammed into the cracked sheave - and the mainsail rope to wire splice would not go through the sheaves either so I had to raise another block with the main halyard to raise the A-frame. Fun stuff, but I saved roughly $500.00, now I have more money to spend on the boat that wasn't spent in the boat yard.
Old 19-02-2010, 18:11   #22

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Yeah,that E29 mast is a monster compared to Erics J24 mast, i put a J24 rig on a C&C24, cutting the mast off just above the dent at deck level where the guy i bought the rig from had stumbled when removing it, i installed it with a hinged base and the mast was fairly easy to walk up with 2 guys, i cant for the life of me understand why anyone would keel step a mast on a boat under about 30ft. I had mentioned in a post above that a friend was going to pick up a pearson Ariel and would be taking the mast down with an A frame, well he did and it worked great for him also,the marina in maryland where the boat was stored wanted $500 to pull it. Good job WC.
Steve.

Tags
mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: