Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2008, 15:40   #1

Boat: Ranger 32 "Done Deal"
Question Mast Sleeving

Can I get some info / advice (price, time, PITA) from anyone who has had a sleeved. I have a dent in the lower end of the deck stepped mast on my Catalina 27, its about 4-6 inches above the base of the mast. I dont know if it really needs it, they drill holes in that area for wires and lines to exit after all.

Thanks
sugar and spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 16:14   #2

generally....

If it's that close to the end of a deck stepped mast I dont believe it would be a problem. If your mast is going to buckle it will occur higher up. I had a mast sleeved and reinforced once about 6 ft up. It had in-mast furling and was starting to crack around the cutout area of the mast. It was a big job and expensive.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 16:24   #3

Cool, I have had a couple of people say the same thing, but none of them actually had to have one done. I will just keep an eye on it and watch for cracks etc. for now. Its sitting at the dock until I get back from Iraq anyway.

Thanks
Old 22-08-2008, 16:48   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
S&S:

When they are that low it is an easy job to sleave themb/c they are not connecting two seperate pieces of mast per say. I raced on a boat once where they had to cut off the bottowm two inches of the mast. They then just built up a plate to raise the deck step the same amount they cut off. I don't know if that would be possible for six inchesbut I imagine a tabernacle fitting would work to strengthen the area. Tabernacle is bascially a stanless steel 'U" shaped hinge that allows someone to lower their mast. Good luck and thanks for your service in Iraq.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 19:12   #5

Boat: searching
70 screws

ON a boat we are having surveyed today, we saw our first sleeved mast. Not being aware of the this practice we were amazed at the 70 screws in 20 inch section of the mast. Could others here on the forum expound on this procedure? These screws were about 7 ft off the deck. Does this come original or is it a repair procedure?
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 21:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

It isn't that unusual Herb. Back in the day the length of boats hence masts grew a lot faster than the ability to extrude long mast sections.

It still happens from time to time and there must be a lot out there with screwed joins. It maybe original or maybe a repair.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 09:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
S&S:

When they are that low it is an easy job to sleave themb/c they are not connecting two seperate pieces of mast per say. I raced on a boat once where they had to cut off the bottowm two inches of the mast. They then just built up a plate to raise the deck step the same amount they cut off. I don't know if that would be possible for six inchesbut I imagine a tabernacle fitting would work to strengthen the area. Tabernacle is bascially a stanless steel 'U" shaped hinge that allows someone to lower their mast. Good luck and thanks for your service in Iraq.
My mast actually has a tabernacle system and I have a HUGE deck plate, it is actually what caused the dent, I was lowering it to pass a bridge and the goose neck failed, the mast rolled forward to port and the deck plate dented the mast. The deck plate didnt give an inch though. So the dent is just above and in fornt of the tabernacle fitting. The one part I am concerned with is the pivot bolt itself. I am going to replace it for sure.
Old 23-08-2008, 11:26   #8

Boat: Privilege 37
I had a bulge in the mast wall on both sides by the pivot point due to the base of the mast falling off the step. I had a professional repair which replaced the normal pivot tube with stainless plates covering well past the bulge area . Stiffened up the whole area and solved the problem!
Old 23-08-2008, 13:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I had a bulge in the mast wall on both sides by the pivot point due to the base of the mast falling off the step. I had a professional repair which replaced the normal pivot tube with stainless plates covering well past the bulge area . Stiffened up the whole area and solved the problem!
That sounds like a good plan too.
Old 24-08-2008, 10:43   #10

"These screws were about 7 ft off the deck. Does this come original or is it a repair procedure"
Sounds little iffy that far down the mast to be original. How long is the mast? if the mast is shorter than the extrusion available it is likely a repair. The one I had professionally done was sleeved, embedded in structural epoxy, and had a honey comb of high strength rivets. It was never separated though, just sleeved for reinforcement. Done properly I see no detriment. One consideration though is that the mast will be stiffer there, when you bend the mast it may be less than a smooth curve.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 12:35   #11

Boat: searching
Screws for sleeve pic

Interesting subject so here is what I saw. About a 45' mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2233.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	4808  
Herbseesmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 13:24   #12

What ever its for its damn nice looking work, a lot of time went into counter sinking all those screws. wow.

I think I might wait until I get ready to re-rig the whole mast.

Tags
mast