Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 12:50   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43
Mast internal wiring come loose

While I was beating to windward in fairly large seas the cables that are run inside the mast must have come loose from whatever was holding them and now I can hear them clunking around whenever the boat sways past the vertical.

From the sound it makes, it seems that it is the lower section that is affected.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how this can be fixed without pulling the mast out (this was already done only 18 months ago to paint mast, fit LED spreader lights, replace standing rigging etc).

Note: Mast is keel stepped with an opening about 1.5" wide on the bottom 18"

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 17:52   #2

Re: Mast internal wiring come loose

Check the rivets, or what's left of them! May only be the heads still in the holes! I have a conduit in our mast. The lower 1/3 is loose, because a p/o put a spinnaker pole track on the mast. To do so they drilled out the rivets on the lower anchor of the conduit, instead of notching the track. Now I have to figure out how to re-attach. Did I mention that the anchor moved down from the rivet holes!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 08:03   #3

Boat: Roberts 45

Oh dear I cannot tell you how much your note hit a chord with me.. We have a mizzen mast with a group of coaxial cables and a rather heavy radar cable that all swing freely inside the mast and it makes a very annoying clunk all the time. I have tried many things to try to secure those lines but of course we have a halyard inside the mask otherwise I would blast a section of polyurethane 2 pack foam in to try to secure these wires. Alas I've nothing to contribute but I'm commiserating.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Velella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:58   #4

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velella99 View Post
Oh dear I cannot tell you how much your note hit a chord with me.. We have a mizzen mast with a group of coaxial cables and a rather heavy radar cable that all swing freely inside the mast and it makes a very annoying clunk all the time. I have tried many things to try to secure those lines but of course we have a halyard inside the mask otherwise I would blast a section of polyurethane 2 pack foam in to try to secure these wires. Alas I've nothing to contribute but I'm commiserating.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Conduit over halyard, then foam. 🤔

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, wiring