Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 14:08   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
roverhi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kona, Hawaii, Carlsbad, CA
Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Posts: 6,003
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Mast climbing control

Looks like he is using mostly arm strength to climb and pulling up the two ascenders with the hand strap. Works if you have a lot of upper body strength. At 70 years old, that ain't me. Use the foot straps on my Mast Climber to provide the propulsion.

Use the Dyneema main halyard run up as tight as I can with the winch. Makes using the Mast Climber ascenders way more efficient and limits the swinging about as the halyard pretty much stays in line with the mast. The Mast Climber foot straps are linked together so my feet are either side of the mast with the link strap on the mast. That also helps in controlling motion on the climb. When I first got the system, had a StaSet X halyard and wasted a lot energy because of stretch in the halyard limiting the amount of gain in height for the ascenders with each iteration and flailing about the mast.

Watched a rigger in Port Townsend go up and down a mast with full mountain climbing gear. Whatever system he was using was way quicker than just ascenders as he came down in one continuous motion. Believe that requires different hardware than for just going up.
__________________

__________________
Peter O.
'Ae'a Pearson 35
roverhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 14:08   #17
Registered User
 
taildragerdrive's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Halfway, Oregon, USA
Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Posts: 102
Re: Mast climbing control

I use ascenders and use two halyards to go up mostly alone with nobody below except an observer in case I have a problem. I have done a fair amount of rope work so am pretty comfortable.

I basically solve the swinging problem by a short stout line attached to my harness. I wrap this line around the mast and tie back off to my harness limiting the swing by the length of this line once tied off. I have tested and with this soft line I tie it in such a way that it will tighten on the mast and stop my decent very quickly.

This serves two purposes as an additional safety if one of the halyards should break or release for some reason along with limiting the swings.

It is a bit time consuming because as I go past my spreaders and radar dome I have to temporarily release the line and retie it above the obstruction. I can do this pretty fast and I have good control. I have also tied myself off at the end of the spreaders as I replaced the spreader end covers this way.

Works good for me.
__________________

__________________
Taildraggerdriver - Flying in the mountains of the west. Sailing/cruising as much as I can.
taildragerdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 15:23   #18
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Mast climbing control

Actually, looking at that video again, I note he is using two feet on the one ascender, I am using one foot to each ascender. His way is the same as the ATN mast ascender, and perhaps it will make things easier, though my gut feel tells me it will be harder to control.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 15:59   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Australia
Boat: Simpson Slipstream 50 Catamaran
Posts: 32
Re: Mast climbing control

I guess the important thing is to get up there. But....
Use a halyard you trust. If you dont trust it, you should change it. Use a bosun chair. Your wife only take in the slack from the halyard who goes thru a closed cleat and one or two rounds on the winch (depend on the surface of the winch). You do the climbing if theres no electric. How hard can it be?
__________________
Where am I......
sirkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:15   #20
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Mast climbing control

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Looks like he is using mostly arm strength to climb and pulling up the two ascenders with the hand strap. Works if you have a lot of upper body strength. At 70 years old, that ain't me. Use the foot straps on my Mast Climber to provide the propulsion.

Use the Dyneema main halyard run up as tight as I can with the winch. Makes using the Mast Climber ascenders way more efficient and limits the swinging about as the halyard pretty much stays in line with the mast. The Mast Climber foot straps are linked together so my feet are either side of the mast with the link strap on the mast. That also helps in controlling motion on the climb. When I first got the system, had a StaSet X halyard and wasted a lot energy because of stretch in the halyard limiting the amount of gain in height for the ascenders with each iteration and flailing about the mast.

Watched a rigger in Port Townsend go up and down a mast with full mountain climbing gear. Whatever system he was using was way quicker than just ascenders as he came down in one continuous motion. Believe that requires different hardware than for just going up.
Than you Roverhi, I think you have nailed one of the critical points, feet either side of the mast. This combined with some other suggestions here might just do it. I am also dependant on my legs to do the heavy lifting, long gone are the days I could do this on arm strength. My arms were like jelly by the time I got down yesterday, and that was just from steadying myself.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 16:17   #21
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Mast climbing control

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post

I basically solve the swinging problem by a short stout line attached to my harness. I wrap this line around the mast and tie back off to my harness limiting the swing by the length of this line once tied off. I have tested and with this soft line I tie it in such a way that it will tighten on the mast and stop my decent very quickly.

This serves two purposes as an additional safety if one of the halyards should break or release for some reason along with limiting the swings.

It is a bit time consuming because as I go past my spreaders and radar dome I have to temporarily release the line and retie it above the obstruction. I can do this pretty fast and I have good control. I have also tied myself off at the end of the spreaders as I replaced the spreader end covers this way.

Works good for me.
I always take safety related advice from a pilot seriously, even if they cannot afford a proper undercarriage. Thanks for the suggestion.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 17:28   #22
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,034
Re: Mast climbing control

A tailwheel airplanes undercarriage is referred to as "conventional gear"
So what's that make a nose dragger?


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 17:34   #23
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Mast climbing control

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A tailwheel airplanes undercarriage is referred to as "conventional gear"
So what's that make a nose dragger?
Some of the budget airlines?
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 17:45   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Posts: 255
Re: Mast climbing control

I'm in the same situation as you, having climbed the mast for the first time last week. Did it with climbing gear, self-powered (ascenders) with a backup halyard winched from deck helper. And boy was it hard! I'm in good shape and have years of rock climbing experience, so I didn't expect ascender inch-worming to be so tiring and slow.

I didn't have much trouble with swinging though. When I was raising an ascender I basically hugged the mast. Descending is where it was harder not to swing, in that case I just grabbed on to a side stay or spreader in some spots. I also had the climbing halyard anchored 3-4 feet out from the mast base.

For descending next time I want to try rappelling down instead. (that's probably what the Port Townsend rigger that roverhi referred to earlier in this thread was doing)
For some rappel devices (I have an ATC device) you need to be able to disconnect the rappel line or have a separate halyard end at the top, so that means anchoring in using other means at the top until you have your rappel set up.
__________________
Blog: www.svviolethour.com
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 17:50   #25
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,413
Re: Mast climbing control

I wouldn't prefer to climb the mast without being attached to a halyard controlled by a reliable person even with mast steps. Prefer to employ someone to do it.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 17:52   #26
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,094
Re: Mast climbing control

GRIGRIĀ® 2 - Belay-devices--descenders | Petzl


A grigri makes coming back down a lot easier and more fun.


goat
__________________
goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 18:08   #27
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Mast climbing control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessellate View Post
I'm in the same situation as you, having climbed the mast for the first time last week. Did it with climbing gear, self-powered (ascenders) with a backup halyard winched from deck helper. And boy was it hard! I'm in good shape and have years of rock climbing experience, so I didn't expect ascender inch-worming to be so tiring and slow.

I didn't have much trouble with swinging though. When I was raising an ascender I basically hugged the mast. Descending is where it was harder not to swing, in that case I just grabbed on to a side stay or spreader in some spots. I also had the climbing halyard anchored 3-4 feet out from the mast base.
Hey Tessellate, did you put both feet on the one ascender like RoverHi, or one ascender for each foot?

And yes, coming down was a bit more work thank going up, but I wondered if that was simply because I was getting tired. Our mast is only 50 feet high, but it felt like more.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 18:12   #28
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 3,585
Re: Mast climbing control

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
GRIGRIĀ® 2 - Belay-devices--descenders | Petzl


A grigri makes coming back down a lot easier and more fun.


goat
I looked at those, and I wondered what, if any wear they would put on the halyard? What do you think?

As it was, the ascenders I am bought were less aggressive than another brand I looked at, and all else being equal, I figured that was a good thing when it came to not damaging my halyards. I know my brand are not recommended on icy ropes, but that's unlikely to be a problem for me down here in Oz.

Matt
__________________
Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.
http://www.swansonsailor.id.au
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 19:12   #29
Registered User
 
goat's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Everywhere (Sea of Cortez right now)
Boat: PSC Orion 27
Posts: 1,094
Re: Mast climbing control

I use my halyard to haul up a climbing rope. Safer and no damage done to the halyard

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2015, 19:20   #30
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Posts: 255
Re: Mast climbing control

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hey Tessellate, did you put both feet on the one ascender like RoverHi, or one ascender for each foot?

Matt
I did one ascender for both feet connected to a line in a Y shape that I made foot loops in. Other ascender on a 2-3' line connected to climbing harness.

I initially tried having the foot ascender above the harness ascender (read that somewhere) but that have me really short movements so I switched. The length of the lines which determines spacing between ascenders is really important. Still need to fiddle with that more.

I used climbing rope for ascending (to avoid wear on halyard) but I had to pull it really taut. Next time will use an old halyard and maybe bring the climbing rope up for descending, like someone else suggested.




Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
Blog: www.svviolethour.com
Tessellate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mast

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mast Climbing searcher Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 36 01-08-2015 18:08
Challenge: Climbing a Mast Using Prussik Knots nigheandonn Challenges 13 28-02-2011 15:01
Climbing Up the Mast stevern Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 23 16-03-2010 12:42
Climbing the Mast Safety over40pirate Health, Safety & Related Gear 3 23-05-2008 02:44
Climbing the mast exranger Construction, Maintenance & Refit 14 06-04-2006 21:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:37.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.