Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2006, 10:03   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Angry Marine Standards???

I read a while back that the marine industry had a standard for track. Maybe they just meant T-track. Or, maybe it was just here in the US. It stated that track would use 4" hole spacing with specific size holes for specific sized tracks. I don't remember where I read the info but I was pleased.

Well, I just picked up a new main sheet traveler made by Lewmar. The hole spacing is 3-15/16" (100 mm) with .354" (9 mm) holes. That's not so bad But the counter sink in the hole's is 85º. Most counter sinks for standard industry is 81º and 100º for aircraft.

So, where in the H*** is the average Joe suppose to find SS fasteners with a 85º head here in the US of A. They could at least supply the faseners with the track if they are going to have there own standard. And then when you call them on the phone they get all in a huff.

Fortunately, I'm a Machinist and I'll be able to re-machine the heads on the few fasteners I need.

Buyer beware!

That's it, my rant of the day..............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 12:16   #2
Kai Nui

For a "small" additional cost... I wonder if they have a disclaimer on their literature indicating that you must use their hardware. If they are not standard, they are really exposing themselves to liability.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I presume you use the plastic insulater? This would or should deform enough to take up the difference. We have a problem in NZ with Metric SST fastnings only being available in recent years. So now, depending on manufacturer, we have a mixture of Imperial and metric and it is often a case of luck as to what a supplier has on his shelf. So I have used both types on my boat and have found no issue with either, providing you use that insulator. And trust me, you HAVE to use that insulator or the SST will corrode with the Ali.
Can't help on the spacing though. 3-15/16''. mate you guy's really need to use easier numbers. Metric is so easy.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 00:55   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Insulator, Hummmmm!

That would probably work except that the head of the screw would then be above the top surface. I only have 16 holes to fill so I think the machining of the head will be the cure.

Metrics-- Yeah! I agree, it's a lot EZ'r. But old habits are hard to break. We here have been converting over slowly but surely. But it's going to be a long while until it's done.

On my job I have two sets of tools. One for metric and the other for the old stuff. About 20 years ago I purchased a metric/english conversion calculator. I must use it every day. A lot of the new heavy equipment is metric now. You should see the truck mechanics tool boxes. If you want to move one you need a forklift......................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 13:36   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No do NOT drill the holes. You wioll destroy the anodising. You get the plastic inserts to fit the hole on the track. Then you get the screw that fits that insert. You will find they will fit just fine. So you may have a 9mmm hole in the track, which tacks an insert which may reduce the hole to say, 8mm(5/16") which will have a countersunk angle of correct match(or darn close to) of the plastic insert. YOU MUST use that insert. Some tracks makers (I thought Lewmar was one that did) supply the track with those inserts, some don't. But what ever, DO NOT allow the SST to touch the Ali, it will corrode quickly and badly.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote