Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 19:43   #1

Making a boat cover

I am hoping t o make my own boat cover using videos and materials and tools from Sailrite for a 32 foot sail boat. I would appreciate any input before I commit.
RustyBucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 23:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Making a boat cover

It is a large project, AND one can do it. Use ptfe thread, or the thread will go after four to five years, and if the fabric you use was Sunbrella (no affiliation, but many years of experience), it will be good for 10 -20 yrs, depending on the color. If that sounded tantalizing, it is their royal blue, not navy, that lasts the longest, ime.

I'm sure you remember the old saw: Measure twice; cut once..... Yup.

A.
Old 27-10-2018, 09:19   #3

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

I have built sail covers using an old steel sewing machine from about 1962. I picked it up at a yard sale for $5. Building your own boat cover will save you enough to buy a Sailrite machine. I recently bought one, but haven't made anything with it yet. They review very well.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 09:46   #4

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Sailmakers Supply has god prices on Sunbrella. Use Seamstick tape, especially if you don't have a walking foot machine. I built a cockpit enclosure (using the bimini) for our sorta small ketch, effectively doubled the living space.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 09:17   #5

Boat: CS 27

I have built a few boat covers, main sail covers, African Queens, etc. None are greatly difficult if you have some sewing skills. Biggest problem is having enough room to lay out the pieces for cutting and assembling. I have tried building a large sail cover in my living room and would prefer not doing that again. Boat covers are really huge when you try to build them in your house. IF you have a large flat area to work in then good for ya.
jooa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 09:33   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40 cutter

Made one for a 28' boat ,Used lifetime threadand Aqua gun material. Put all the leafs in dinning room table and it was tough. made wife help move the furnature but got it made and looked pretty good . bought fabric ant Rochford . Good service and prices. Get ready made sippers . If they are long cut them , zippers by the inch and parts suck big time to start. Put them on my sail cover .LOL!
Capt. Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 13:31   #7

When you need a large place to lay out a lot of fabric, the lawns at public parks work okay. Not ideal, of course, a 4 x 8 piece of plywood on top of a dining table was what I used when I lived in a house. Made using a hot knife easy. Parks don't have power points. If you flat fell your seams, you can get away without hot knifing. Since then, I've used picnic tables in parks or at marinas, and docks, wherever there's room enough. Sometimes, it helps to have an extra person manage the material with you while you're sewing.

If the machine has a hand crank, having someone else turn the crank while you manage the materials can really help. We did this, re-attaching a friend's sun strip on his genoa on a lawn in a tropical nation. The ability to sit with your legs folded up tailor style helps.

Ann
Old 28-10-2018, 14:17   #8

Has anyone used old sails? We have 2 mains & 2 genoas we're considering repurposing into winter cover.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2018, 14:39   #9

You're talking about a coooold Canadian winter, eh?

It will depend on the condition of the sail fabric. But I can see the appeal of the idea, and it would be an interesting experiment. All you'd want to invest in by way of thread would be regular dacron sail thread. It's UV treated. And damage to the fabric will be mostly UV. I don't know at all whether you'd get more than one year out of it, but the 4 sails should represent enough fabric. Be sure to at least double it at chafe points, kind of depends on what kind of machine you'll be using, what the max number of layers is. You'd want to use something around the cutouts for rigging, etc, if you leave your mast up. And, figure out how you're going to keep it tight, how it will be attached, or tied underneath the boat, etc. Before you invest all the labour in it, you might talk to a local boat cover maker and see what kinds of fabrics they offer, that might give you an idea as to how unsuitable, the old sails might be.

Ann

PS, on edit. For experiments, in the past we've used the cheapest tarp material you can get from the big box store, to make the "prototype". Usually we learn that we left out some things we should do differently or better, after we've used "it" for a while, and before making the investment in more expensive fabrics.

Something that might be a problem with using the sails is that forces that are not aligned with the straight grain of the fabric (parallel to or perpendicular to the selvage edges) are on the bias of the fabric, and that is stretchy. Solving the problem of how you're going to mount it (over boom? with peak line bolt rope? how will it be supported above the deck?) may lead to deciding how to make it.

Draw up some pictures to scale (use quadrille paper), and post them here, notiesbob, and we'll see if we can help.
Old 28-10-2018, 17:43   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Look for the SOB Sewing on Boats group on Facebook... loads of helpful people.
Old 28-10-2018, 18:07   #11

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBucket View Post
I am hoping t o make my own boat cover using videos and materials and tools from Sailrite for a 32 foot sail boat. I would appreciate any input before I commit.
I had never done any sewing before ,I built a cabin top cover for my 42' sailboat(acres of varnish) Bought a 1950s all metal sewing machine off Craigslist. Stopped at a sewing shop and the ladies there gave me all kinds of pointers and help.
Cover came out great, now I'm adding on to make a full boat cover.
Did all of my sewing at the salon table. Watch out once you start sewing you find all kinds of projects you must tackle.
If you have a Perfect fit McDonald near by they will sale you everything at wholesale, sunbrella $16 yard for 60" wide.
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 01:14   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have moved your thread as the tech help forum wasn't really the best place for this.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat