Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2011, 16:12   #1

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Mainsheet traveler System

OK I'm getting close to finishing a major refit on my boat. I bought the boat when this refit was in the middle of being done. Now I'm getting the deck hardware back on but, the traveler system is not there.
So my question is should i just go buy one ? or is there another way. Maybe no track system and just have single point in the middle? Would that even be feasible?
I'm looking for a budget (OK cheap) way to do this.
Any suggestions would be great. And pics if someone has built something themselves.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:20   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Mainsheet traveler system

I would say you definitely need a traveler system, not just attaching it to a central point. There are two ways that I know of: the conventional traveler with cars and blocks at both ends. My preference. My boat surprisingly did not have one, just the track but no end cars, but I added it. For price, I'd look at the marine salvage yards and get one stout enough to work on a large boat, for that is what you have.

Second option, control the boom with two block and tackles. One each fixed to the port and starboard side and both meeting at the boom. You would adjust the boom by balancing the two. It's been done but to my mind is very awkward. I'm not even sure what the procedure would be to gybe with that arrangement.

There are enough salvage boats out there that I would recommend pursuing the first option. You really want to be able to adjust the position to compensate for either lee or weather helm.

My thoughts anyway,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:27   #3

Cabo sailer thank you for the quick reply. The second option you give may be how the boat was setup before. There are extra, large wooden blocks and tackle in one of the boxes of stuff i got. I tried to google that set up to find a picture but had no luck.
Thanks.
Old 27-03-2011, 16:29   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Handy thing to have and I've noticed there's lots of options for buying parts for them both used and new. Probably worth the cost and trouble.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:57   #5

You don't need a track and cars unless you're racing - cruisers tend to use the auto-pilot mostly and no robot yet can operate the traveller

The proposal of just one fixed point will probably not suffice, but three such points can (equating to middle track point and outer track points for moderate and heavy conditions). I've seen that used and the cruisers are happy.

Another cheap option is round mild steel bar (8mm-10mm maybe would do) bent to shape. Maybe a metre of horizontal (or slightly arced) with vertical legs with welded flange for attachment to the deck each end. A simple block on the bar can ease the friction if necessary.

Lots of older boats have this arrangement and it works well; the H28 and others in that era, right up to big steel vessels. Racing dinghies often have much the same arrangement (in rope).

Tracks and cars and all that gizmo are important for racers, because the traveller is an important control. But for cruisers it's an unnecessary expense imho...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 17:16   #6

At sea thank you. I have seen the bar set up before and thought about it. I have the blocks to do that and think i could have that made easy enough. I just haven't seen it on larger boats, but i guess just use a bigger bar. And your right I won't be doing any racing. My boat was not made to go fast.... I think this may work.
Thank you.
Old 27-03-2011, 17:18   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

I admit that most of the time my traveler is set in one position and left there. It's only when the wind gets up or is very light do I make an adjustment. You're right, when I crewed on a racing boat we were constantly twigging the thing. I've not really considered it but your three point system might have merit.

Mark, the system I describe is called a "split mainsheet traveler system" I believe. Somewhere I have a book with a diagram but I was unable to find a good shot on the web. In fact, if you google it, be careful. One of the sites was infected. It kept trying to tell me I had a virus and needed to install special anti-virus software. Of course I had no virus, their software contained the virus. No matter what I could not shut the bugger up. Finally had to shut down the browser altogether to get away. NEVER, NEVER believe a pop up about a virus unless its from the software that you installed and even then I'd be wary.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 19:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
At sea thank you. I have seen the bar set up before and thought about it. I have the blocks to do that and think i could have that made easy enough. I just haven't seen it on larger boats, but i guess just use a bigger bar. And your right I won't be doing any racing. My boat was not made to go fast.... I think this may work.
Thank you.
No worries; I reckon about 19mm (3/4") would be about right for your size boat
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote