Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 10:12   #31

Boat: Cape George 40
I was just at the Seattle boat show yesterday. I was talking to the Lee sails rep. from Portland Or.. Their strong track is $24 a foot, including sail hardware. About $1200 for a '49 luff. I am tempted to order a new main sail from them. $1800.00 for '49 luff by '18 foot cruising main with 3 reef points. Any thoughts on Lee sails? Is that price too good to by true. ( you get what you pay for?) A hand made piece of art locally her starts at about $4500.00. So you can see my temptation. Lee sails are still made in Hong Kong and not mainland China if that makes a difference?
Is their challenge cloth different than others?

Thanks, Patrick
poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 14:55   #32

Boat: CS36 Traditional
I have no experience (aside getting a quote) with Lee Sails. Your quote was $150 less than what I got for a smaller (43ft luff) sail with two reefs (7.3 oz cloth) but then things tend to be slightly higher in Canada and you are closer to Hong Kong so shipping would be less.

Our local Lee Sails representative does not have a loft which is one reason I didn't go with him even though he had the best price. It was important for me to have a place where I could take my sail if it needed adjustments or repairs so I decided to go to a local loft who actually makes the sail at their location. I ended up paying almost a third more but I think it is worth it (I also got a heavier sail cloth so it isn't really a far comparison).

BTW, my loft quoted $1100 for the Strong Track (43ft). The Dutchman system is $800 which seems high for what you are getting (how much is convenience worth?).

The following chart lists the variety of sailclothes offered in the challenge line: http://www.challengesailcloth.com/applic.htm

Andrew
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 09:37   #33

Boat: Cape George 40
Thanks Andrew! Has any one out there ever bought and used a Lee made sail? My boat came with a Lee asymmetrical spinnaker from the '80's that was well made.

Patrick
poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 09:48   #34

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I have the Tides Marine track on my boat and had excellent service. I spray down the slides with silicon dry lube just before I raise the main about twice a year which seems to be enough. I had the bolt hole on a batten car strip out on one car after about 6 years. I called Tides Marine to order a new one and they sent me one free. They even paid shipping. That is great customer service.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2011, 09:00   #35

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
For sail cover you might also look at Mack Pack. The lazy jacks attach to boom and are threaded through grommets at top of sail cover. This allows cover to drop (except at aft end) where you could roll it up.

No battens are fitted to cover, which is fine with me.

That you don't have lazy jacks is good as Mack says not to fit one to existing lazy jacks (referring to boom attachments)
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 23:16   #36

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Mainsail Track Systems

Very helpful thread for me.

I've just received a quote from both Tides and Harken. The latter was $5500 and Tides was $1400.

Given the feed back in this thread I'll go with Tides.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 00:04   #37

Re: Mainsail Track Systems

I have a Lee working jib, which I bought after talking to three yachties with Lee sails.
After cyclone Winston, two boat buddy's at Savusavu, replaced their working sails
from Lee. IMHO, they are a great sail for the money, with timely delivery.

Fijijim
SY Kalokalo, P35 1968
Suva, Fiji
Jim van Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail