Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 00:46   #1

Boat: 38' Chieftain Centre Cockpit
Mainsail Refurb

Have removed Main & Boom ready to pull mast for refurb, and fit Tides Strong track, am taking main to sailmaker in Yeppoon, as I am a newbie what things should I make sure he checks, and what if any changes should be made, like what should I use to attach sail eye to slides, any suggestions please. sail size is Luff 11.3m (37 ft) Leech 12.1m (39.7 ft) Foot 4.65m (15.2 ft) first reef is 1.3m (4 ft) and second is 3.4m (11 ft)from foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mainsail.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	26864   Click image for larger version

Name:	small slug.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	26865  

Name:	large slug batten fixture.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	26866  
ozmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:53   #2

Re: Mainsail Refurb

My Tides Strong cars are attached thru the luff eyelets with little nylon webbing straps doubled and sewn.

Sailmaker should restitch all worn threads. Check wear on leech and where batten pockets touch the standing rig. Check batten retaining straps...maybe new velcro.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:02   #3

Thanks daddle, most of mine already have the webbing straps but some must have broken and PO just replaced with small nylon rope, batten retaining straps seem good took a good pull to get them out, they threw me for a while, 27 years ago when I raced for 4 yrs with the ex f/inlaw I remember having to tie the batten ends on, but then we never had furlers or self tailing winches either.
Will wait till slides arrive then deliver all to him to fit.
Old 03-05-2011, 00:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Tack pin setback will no longer be proper so you'll have to work around that. Make sure you get the sailmaker to have a look at backstay clearance. On one boat that we replaced the main after another sailmaker converted it to full battens and added a Battcar system. At that point the sail could no longer be tacked or jibed without lowering the sail. Sometimes there's more work than you think converting to a track system and it's best to simply wait until you replace the mainsail. Unless it's a fairly new main why dump a bunch of money into a sail that's not a very good sail?

If you don't already have full battens you may be able to reduce friction to where you don't need a track system.

PM me with questions if you like. Good luck.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:43   #5

thanks island planet, did'nt think about backstay clearance, could not remember so had to go down and check, but there is plenty of room.
As you see in photo the main is already full battens, and the track will only move sail back 1 inch at most. we look forward to being able to raise from cockpit, instead of me going to mast base and pulling halyard whilst wife winches.
What is tack pin setup??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chocs 358.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	26940  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:27   #6

A minor point, maybe, but I use a different color thread than the original to restitch. This clearly indicates where it has been restitched making the work easier.

Most of my sails have wanted complete restitching once in their useful life, with some occasional additional attention where thread chafes.
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:27   #7
Marine Service Provider

@ Ozmike - Tack pin setback is the allowance made for the location of the tack pin. When we build a mainsail, we take two measurements. One is from the top surface of the boom to the load bearing surface of the tack pin. The second is from the aft face of the mast to the load bearing surface of the tack pin. When the sail is "cut back" so the tack ring can be installed an allowance is made for the distances measured taking into account the means of attachment to mast and boom.

When the track is added you may need a shackle or to create a lashing for the tack to fit properly. Or it may work satisfactorily as is.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30   #8
Marine Service Provider

@ Whimsy - Good point. Not only can you see what's been done, but if you use a darker thread it will last a bit longer.

On the new sails we build for real cruisers, we use Tenara thread so the stitching does not degrade due to UV exposure. Tenara thread should last the life of the sail although if it's getting chafed, it will need attention.

Tags
mainsail, Refurb