Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 18:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irie View Post
Couple days ago after lowering sail I found a sail track stop laying on deck (didn't know what it was until next time I dropped sails). I reinstalled sail slides on sail track. I didn't know where to put the 'stop' but I figured it had to be above the gate where sail slides slide back on the track. When I tightened it up with a allen wrench the track on one side broke off. I made a bunch of wraps around the mast with 5/8 nylon rope til I had a place for the sail slides to land when I next dropped the sail.
My question is how can I possibly Identify the item when they stopped making this boat 15 years ago? It has a unstayed carbon fiber mast. Is a sail stop a generic item? Where on the track does it get installed? If I found a place to order, where do you take the measurements?
I have photo attachments and I hope it works.
First... it should only have been done up finger tight... I'm not surprised it broke...
As to a temporary stop till you find a replacement... take out the last screw before the slides hit the narrow bit where they fall of.... get a mactching screw but 1/4 inch longer and a nut thats a comfortable fit for the screw then screw back into the track.... it'll do the job just fine till you can find a replacement.
Where can you get a replacement... dunno...
I'm in Portugal so not much use to you..
Sorry

Opps nearly missed a question... it goes just above the same place your gonna do the temporary setup... about an inch or so... is that an indentation I see just above the second screw....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:44   #17

The gate on my mast is placed high enough to allow the storage of the main and the fitting of a storm sail above the main.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 22:03   #18

Boat: Vagabond 42
I just finished making one from a piece of aluminum threshold purchased at Lowes ($8.00). I cut it to size, filed it to fit correctly and used screws to mount it. The shape of the threshold fits into the grove and aligns with the existing track edges very well - on my boat any way. Links to picts below.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/43238-albums1197-picture8059.jpg
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/43238-albums1197-picture8057.jpg
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/members/43238-albums1197-picture8058.jpg
Old 16-03-2012, 05:35   #19

Re: Mainsail Gates and Slide Stops

I made a simple adaptation of a standard curtain track end-stop - it happend to be the Silent Gliss brand, but most will do nicely. This one has nice big metal loop with a screw and nut on the other end. The good thing about it is that I can turn it with my fingers (or when cold and wet, insert a spike). Also, an absolute minimum of DIY was needed to make it work.

If these standard types don't suit you, then I'm sure if you shop around then you might find something that will fit (I've seen a I-Beam track end adapted to be used this way).

Cost - £2.50 for two!
Velsheda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail