Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2018, 11:32   #1

mainmast Hood roller furling issues

Hi, I recently bought a 1988 Bristol 38.8 with a Hood "Stowaway" furling system for the mainmast. The system was apparently well maintained and installed by an expert yard, but I have found it crazy hard to roll the sail back into the mast, especially when there's any kind of wind--a bit ironic given that ease of reefing is one of the main attractions of such a system. I washed out the (boom level) fittings w/ fresh water and lubricated with WD-40, as Hood advises; did not try to get to the masthead. I took the boat out in 20-30 knots of wind 2 days ago; the sail unfurled a bit too far and as I struggled to reduce sail area the Harken "car" that keeps the clew hooked into the boom-track broke. I ended up having to winch the sail in to reef it, which is not recommended, while the fitting hung higher on the clew. My questions to forum members: Is there a way to lubricate or otherwise ease this process without pulling the stick? and, is there a simpler, and stronger, fitting than the Harken (around $700 new) that would do the same job? Thanks!
odyssey35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, hood, mast, roller furling