Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 21:27   #1

Main sail cover makers

Just curious to know if there are any recommendations or consensus on who does the best mail order sail covers

I'm not necessarily looking for a lazy jack system, but I'd like to have something that I could keep on the boom even when sailing for up to a week at a time that doesn't get in the way of reeding. Isomat boom in the ~15' size. Primary function will be to keep the UV off the sail while in port, Doesn't have to look pretty; just has to be functional.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 21:40   #2

Re: Main sail cover makers

Sorry, but in my opinion, mainsail covers are one thing that really needs to be measured and made locally. This is based on the one i bought on Ebay. Others on this forum have had the same experience.
Old 08-05-2015, 21:46   #3

Main sail cover makers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Sorry, but in my opinion, mainsail covers are one thing that really needs to be measured and made locally. This is based on the one i bought on Ebay. Others on this forum have had the same experience.

Yeah... The local guy wants US$2k.

I'll buy a industrial sewing machine, watch the sail-rite videos again and make my own before I pay that much.

I've asked CF before how to rig a sail cover down the channel of an isomat boom before and gotten crickets.

keelsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 21:59   #4

Crikey, that makes me feel better about my $200 Ebay one that doesn't fit very well!
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43   #5

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

Just got a stack pack from Lee Sails. You take multiple measurements and then go live on line to confirm. It looks just like the sailrite pattern. Good quality fit was right on. I measured three times and they have done enough of these to be able to question some measurement that is not adding up. Price was more than fair.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:09   #6

Boat: F&C 44

$2K for a sail cover is a bit much, a new Mack Pack from Mack sails in FL. is about $850 including cover and all the lazy jack hardware. These are custom made, just need to follow the measurement instructions. Bacon sails in Annapolis MD is loaded with 2nd hand covers, should be able to find something that fits both the sail and your wallet.

hope that helps.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:03   #7

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have a guy in Washington state that duplicated, and made better, a lazy jack cover I sent him for $450. My boom is 15.5 feet long and he still has my old one as a pattern. If you're interested I look up his name
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:58   #8

Boat: Norseman 400

"I'll buy a industrial sewing machine, watch the sail-rite videos again and make my own before I pay that much. "

So you wanna make a stack pack. Well now, what thread type are you going to use? What type of canvas? Know how to make an accurate pattern? How about hardware? And how will you attach said hardware? How will you finish the edges - Sunbrella ravels you know. You'll need a whole host of tools in addition to an industrial sewing machine. Please be sure to post a picture of it installed on your boat when you're finished. I'm dying to see how it turns out. Or save yourself some time and just strap on a blue tarp from Walmart. LOL

Kidding aside now, we just replaced some of the canvas on our boat. I was amazed by how many steps are involved, how many man hours it actually takes to accurately pattern, cut, sew, fit, add hardware, etc. and how many tricks of the trade there are to end up with a quality finished product. Like something that won't blow off in a strong wind. Or come apart at the seams next summer because of thread rot.

There is a reason boat canvas is expensive. Because a quality product is worth it and will last for years. If built right and cared for, your canvas can last 10-15 years.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:04   #9

I just went to the sailrite website and they sell a kit for making a cover for a 16 foot boom for a little over $200. In the past, I've used my sailrite sewing machine to make repairs to sails and actually made a hatch cover without using any kit. That is my total experience in sewing and all turned out well. I was thinking that a kit may not be necessary, but not sure if I could reduce the cost much below the 200. Plus a standard kit may not be sufficient since I do have a mast step that will need covering by the main sail cover.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:14   #10

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Sail Cover Kit for 16' Boom - Made With Sunbrella Fabric

I've used a cheap Chinese walking foot 9" throat machine for years. Upholstered my hotrod roadster, made a waterproof cover for said roadster, repaired sails, replaced the Bimini fabric, repaired the sail covers, made cockpit cushions, etc. The only trouble it gave me was when my horse knocked it off the table, but a little brazing rod and it was good to go.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:52   #11

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Mainsail Pack - Lee Sail Covers

Here is Lee's stack pac for $289 with 10% off right now.... not sure about the Weathermax fabric though.

Matt
Old 09-05-2015, 20:07   #12

Boat: Catalina 25 swing keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by keelsidedown View Post
Yeah... The local guy wants US$2k.

I'll buy a industrial sewing machine, watch the sail-rite videos again and make my own before I pay that much.

Yep that's what I did...sewing machine cost me 75 and I had some really nice Marine vinyl off my old boat that I used. Made a pattern from the old cover and taught myself to use the machine. Sailrite has some has some great vids on sewing that kind of stuff
Rainh2o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 08:55   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSails View Post
$2K for a sail cover is a bit much, a new Mack Pack from Mack sails in FL. is about $850 including cover and all the lazy jack hardware. These are custom made, just need to follow the measurement instructions. Bacon sails in Annapolis MD is loaded with 2nd hand covers, should be able to find something that fits both the sail and your wallet.

hope that helps.
I just got a quote for $1500 from a local guy... and this is for mainsail cover on a 27 foot Pacific Seacraft Orion.

His quote for a full boat cover is about as much as a new set of sails... $12,000.

I think I'll go with Lee and then buy a power washer to keep the boat clean... This is an old boat... I'd rather have new sails. SIGH.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 14:19   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@ keelside down:

If you want to make your own, first look at Sail Rite's video about how to do it. When we made ours, we sort of made it up as we went along, and I think having a more complete concept of finishing the aft end than I had would help. A couple of pointers, though.

One, make the effort to learn to use ptfe thread. It IS expensive, but it will last over 10 yrs., so you won't ever have to re-stitch it.

Two, make sure that the UV protective cloth covers the zipper completely (because the zipper teeth are vulnerable to UV exposure), and the zip will last the life of the bag, too.

Otherwise, it is all ingenuity and straight seams, and a little practice goes a long way. If the boom has metal fittings, make the bag with sacrificial patches where the fabric sits on them.

You can do this.

Ann
Old 30-08-2021, 14:36   #15

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I will second JPA Cate. If you are the type that likes to learn, be challenged, and get a feeling of accomplishment from making your our things then invest in a nice machine (I have a Sailrite and love it) and learn.

That being said if all you ever make is a sail cover than it is not worth it. But you will likely make lots of things. If you make lots then it is a huge savings in money.

I also agree with using some type of "lifetime" thread. Make sure you do a little research and get the type of thread that works best with the type of sewing machine you get (oscillating hook or rotary hook).

Good luck with your decision.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail cover