Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18   #1

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
main halyard 2:1 purchase ? how ?

i need to rig a 2:1 purchase for a f/ b - main its getting heavy ! BUT.. i need to keep the boom as high as possible so a block above the headboard is out as this will effectively drop the main and the boom down . only way i can think of it is to fix a pulley /footblock directly onto the alloy head board ? has anyone tried this ?would it put an uneven load on the headboard as it will be fitted to one side ? thoughts ,please ...
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Depending on the size and thickness of the headboard, how about cutting a hole in it and fitting a block / sheave in the headboard similar to what is fitted to many dinghy masts (to exit halyards ect). That way the tension will be on centre of the headboard.

Just remember I am NOT a sailmaker or rigger
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:52   #3

You need to get a longer halyard as well. The 2:1 will require that you have a dead eye at the top of the mast. You can attach a block to the old halyard and run the new longer halyard over the block and snap one end on to the headboard and run the other to the deck turning blocks etc. if you have them. You haul the block up first and the the new external halyard is now 2:1. I think that works. Nothing banging against the mast with the sail down - one external line with it up.

Alternatively you can go aloft and install a robust dead eye at the halyard sheave. Attach the NEW longer halyard shackle up there and run it down to a new single block at the sail head board and up to the dead eye. Now you have two line external (one actually) banging against the mast when the sail is down and no external lines when it is up.

I think this works.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:27   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Gave an answer to this on a different forum - check your top sheave
Old 09-08-2008, 13:22   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 38, Wild Honey
thanks for that defjef , but i cant quite understand it , sorry , can you enlarge ,please / if i can do it without going up the mast i can do it tommorrow !
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
You need to get a longer halyard as well. The 2:1 will require that you have a dead eye at the top of the mast. You can attach a block to the old halyard and run the new longer halyard over the block and snap one end on to the headboard and run the other to the deck turning blocks etc. if you have them. You haul the block up first and the the new external halyard is now 2:1. I think that works. Nothing banging against the mast with the sail down - one external line with it up.

Alternatively you can go aloft and install a robust dead eye at the halyard sheave. Attach the NEW longer halyard shackle up there and run it down to a new single block at the sail head board and up to the dead eye. Now you have two line external (one actually) banging against the mast when the sail is down and no external lines when it is up.

I think this works.
gramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:44   #6

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
If I understand what you are suggesting I think you will still have a 1:1 purchase.
You could install a block on the main halyard and a block on the headboard. The secondary halyard would then go throught the first block then around the block on the headboard and up to terminate on the first block.
This would add a bit of space between the masthead and headboard however

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:22   #7

I believe the existing sheave at the top of the mast is one block and the new one is attached the the head board. It will mean a shorter hoist. But you might have room up there.

The 2:1 has two blocks total, one at the top (in the mast) and one at the headboard. Ifv you change the halyard you need to get one longer than the present one by the hoist dimension. If you use the exiting halyard you need to get and a attach a new line of the same type to a dead eye at the mast top and run it down outside the mast through the block on the sail and the use your existing halyard to haul the bitter end with a small eye splice and thimble on it to accept the halyard shackle.

If you use the old halyard, you will have to make up and stow the "extension line" at the mast when the sail is down, or have it up and external to the mast.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:27   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This block is made for the purpose :

Antal Marine Equipment
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard