Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2011, 15:36   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Luna Rig - good, bad?

Here's an interesting article: A Trinity with Vision | Cruising World

It seems Bob Perry started out in Carter's office.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:24   #17

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Chattcatdaddy,i think the suggestion of a carbon fwd mast on a junk rig on this boat was because most western hulls like this dont have the volume fwd to support a heavy mast like a chinese hull does. Unless the sails on the Luna rig were to be set up for self tacking it is not as easy as a junk to tack,in fact it seems to me that short tacking up a channel you would be busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest, a sloop would be easier. If you did set it up to be easier to tack with a Hoyt boom, traveller, club boom etc, you would be sacrificing the sail area to be gained from overlap.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:29   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't understand the difficulty in tacking the Luna. Ease two sheets and haul on two. Nothing to interfere with the sail coming over. Am I missing something?

Old 20-03-2011, 16:41   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

And why "Luna" anyway?

Boatyard? Boat?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:43   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Luna Rig - good, bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I don't understand the difficulty in tacking the Luna. Ease two sheets and haul on two. Nothing to interfere with the sail coming over. Am I missing something?
Naah... just the usual... "lets over complicate a simple manouver.."
Its 'Club bar speil...'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:47   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
And why "Luna" anyway?

Boatyard? Boat?

b.
My guess is it the opposite of an una rig. I have no idea why it's called an una though ....

Old 20-03-2011, 16:54   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Luna Rig - good, bad?

LUNA Frequently Asked Questions, The Zeiger Family Boat Building Page

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 16:54   #23

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

hummingway,im not suggesting its difficult to tack, its just that when tacking a sloop all the work is in tacking the headsail particularly with genoas, as the main is self tacking, so, two headsails are more work than one, unless of course they are self tacking, on looking at the sailplan it doesnt show overlapping sails so maybe they are self tacking. When racing we love it when its #3 headsail conditions.
Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 19:26   #24

Cool Re: Luna Rig - good, bad?

Reviving an old thread here with first hand info. The Luna rig, named as such by Dick Carter for his Luna project in the early 80's. The most notable Luna rigged boat being the Vendredi Trieze (3 mast, 125') designed to be the largest possible boat that could be handled by a single sailor, with the purpose of racing across the Atlantic. As a later development, several other Carter designed boats carried this rig.

I have been sailing a Carter Offshore 50' with the Luna rig. It carries a generous 9.5' retractable keel. As best I know it is called a Staysail Schooner. The two furling sails (jibs) are self tacking making a breeze of upwind work (just turn the wheel!). Each jib sheet has a traveller to control sheeting point athwartships and can be sheeted in tight to center-line. Combined with the deep draft the boat goes to windward very nicely and at a respectable angle. Roller reefing the "main" usually achieves a well balanced helm when the wind pipes up.

The rig carries a removable internal forestay to carry a staysail but as this gets in the way of the self tacking jib it hardly gets any use. The boat is happiest with winds over 15kn and the sails can handle wind into the high 20's before needing to shorten sail. For lighter winds it would probably benefit from a larger, overlapping genoa, reacher or Code-0.

The 2 jibs are not the ideal setup for significant downwind sailing and the boat would be well served with a suite of dedicated downwind sails. However the boat came with 2 spinnaker poles and a Fisherman Sail (which is the lovely inverted triangular sail that is set between the masts).

Gybing also becomes a non-issue with nothing more than some cloth flapping when crossing behind the wind.

So to sum it up; for ease of sail management the Luna rig can hardly be beat. It is easy enough to sail the boat single handedly in most (benign) conditions. Laughing simple to tack and gybe. Great rig for most cruising needs.No boom to shadow the solar panels on the pilothouse. Maybe not as efficient as a modern sloop rig but not in it to win races.
Bambooboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2020, 03:00   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooboat View Post
Reviving an old thread here with first hand info. The Luna rig, named as such by Dick Carter for his Luna project in the early 80's. The most notable Luna rigged boat being the Vendredi Trieze (3 mast, 125') designed to be the largest possible boat that could be handled by a single sailor, with the purpose of racing across the Atlantic. As a later development, several other Carter designed boats carried this rig.

I have been sailing a Carter Offshore 50' with the Luna rig. It carries a generous 9.5' retractable keel. As best I know it is called a Staysail Schooner. The two furling sails (jibs) are self tacking making a breeze of upwind work (just turn the wheel!). Each jib sheet has a traveller to control sheeting point athwartships and can be sheeted in tight to center-line. Combined with the deep draft the boat goes to windward very nicely and at a respectable angle. Roller reefing the "main" usually achieves a well balanced helm when the wind pipes up.

The rig carries a removable internal forestay to carry a staysail but as this gets in the way of the self tacking jib it hardly gets any use. The boat is happiest with winds over 15kn and the sails can handle wind into the high 20's before needing to shorten sail. For lighter winds it would probably benefit from a larger, overlapping genoa, reacher or Code-0.

The 2 jibs are not the ideal setup for significant downwind sailing and the boat would be well served with a suite of dedicated downwind sails. However the boat came with 2 spinnaker poles and a Fisherman Sail (which is the lovely inverted triangular sail that is set between the masts).

Gybing also becomes a non-issue with nothing more than some cloth flapping when crossing behind the wind.

So to sum it up; for ease of sail management the Luna rig can hardly be beat. It is easy enough to sail the boat single handedly in most (benign) conditions. Laughing simple to tack and gybe. Great rig for most cruising needs.No boom to shadow the solar panels on the pilothouse. Maybe not as efficient as a modern sloop rig but not in it to win races.
How does it heave-to?
Old 28-04-2020, 08:17   #26

Hi Benz, good question. I have not tried it out yet. I'll come back with an answer once I do.
Bambooboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 17:21   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'm very much looking forward to it: I cannot imagine seafaring without the option to heave-to.