Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2010, 17:46   #16

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Mine need rebedding too, but since I didn't have time to do it yet, I scrapped the caulk out from under the edges and forced in new caulk from both sides. I still have a couple leaks, but that's mostly due to splits where they were spliced. I epoxied them, but noticed they a few places cracked again.

It looks like I'll need to pull them, replace the bad parts, and rebed them this summer. From below, you can tell that they've been done before, but the old holes weren't filled in. I guess I'll leave the steamhead and do it all at once.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 18:22   #17

Boat: Allied Luders 33
rebedding toe rails was another nightmare job... Good luck. I am greatful I got mine back on in as good condition as before taking them off. I used lifeboat one part polysulfide... and am not sure it was a good choice... but I never plan to do it again. so it better be good. Id say it took me two months per side... but I refinished them and repainted the deck and hull where they sit. on the deck.
I think the actual seam between the deck and hull is water tight, mine was filled with resin... so if your getting leaks its probably throught the bolt holes.... adding some sealant in each bolt hole might work just as well.
Luders33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:41   #18

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Hi

I own a L33 hull # 28, and will also do the deck this summer. I will remove and replace the toerail since most of the softwood in the teak is gone probably due to many sanding or chemical cleaning. I have several leaks under the side deck.
I have a question fo Luders33: You removed the toerail, is the hull and deck held by resin or there are bolts under the torails to hold it? Do you mind providing an email so that I can pick your brains?

For Don - NV51 - try to post your question about chainplates on the Ludres 33 owners site at www.luders33.com

Thanks!

Marcelo
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 17:04   #19

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Don't know if you've heard back from Luders33, but yes, the deck is bolted to the hull first, then the toerail is bolted through both. You should be able to see this by looking in the galley cabinets or sticking your head down in the cockpit lockers or even the chain locker and lining up the bungs. When the PO redid mine, some of the new toerail bolts hit existing deck bolts, causing them to leak.

I haven't had mine off yet, except for a small section near the bow, but it does look as though they used epoxy to bond the deck to the hull in addition to the bolts, with the spacing varying between 8-12 inches.

I'm thinking of redoing mine this summer too, but need to get out of NYC first -- too expensive to do much of anything here. Please be sure to post your results, and photos once you're done.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:46   #20

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Re: Luders 33 Chainplate Replacement

Sorry I didn't log in for so long. Nv5l answered your question
Luders33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate