Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 16:55   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 18 ft avon
Lower's on Columbia 34 Mark 2

So my beloved Columbia 34 Mark 2 ran into a railroad bridge back in September. It drug anchors was taken by the mighty Columbia River current to its fate.

Fortunately the only things that happened was that the port side forward lower and the forestay broke, bow pulpit got munged, and mast head light and windex got torn off.

I have a new forestay and found a bow pulpit we can purchase. The configuration of the 1970 Columbia 34 Mark 2 is uppers and lows for and aft on each side. Uppers are in line with mast so no swept spreaders. I am thinking about not having a replacement lower made. Was thinking about just have two after lowers or two forward lowers.

My first take was to just have the aft lowers in place and removed the starboard side forward lower that is remaining?

Any thoughts?
MC2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 17:23   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Lower's on Columbia 34 Mark 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackconsult View Post
So my beloved Columbia 34 Mark 2 ran into a railroad bridge back in September. It drug anchors was taken by the mighty Columbia River current to its fate.

Fortunately the only things that happened was that the port side forward lower and the forestay broke, bow pulpit got munged, and mast head light and windex got torn off.

I have a new forestay and found a bow pulpit we can purchase. The configuration of the 1970 Columbia 34 Mark 2 is uppers and lows for and aft on each side. Uppers are in line with mast so no swept spreaders. I am thinking about not having a replacement lower made. Was thinking about just have two after lowers or two forward lowers.

My first take was to just have the aft lowers in place and removed the starboard side forward lower that is remaining?

Any thoughts?
You have nothing to balance the lowers pulling the middle of the mast aft, causing it to bend aft, which you don't want in the first place and in the second bends it the wrong way for sail shape.

If the mast were strong enough to not pump the best you could do is have the lowers inline with the uppers, but I wouldn't advise it.

Wouldn't a lower be about $100 for that size boat? Relatively cheap considering other issues.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia