Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 14:54   #46

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
The term "halyard" is a minor abbreviation of "haul-yard", from the days of square-rigged sailing. The "yards" were the horizontal (wooden) spars from which the square (or, more accurately, rectangular) sails were hung. The "haul-yards" were the ropes that were used for adjusting the yards. Or so is my understanding, anyway.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 15:02   #47

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Hi Weylan:
We tried end for ending an IOR Farr 40 during Transpac. Worked great until we popped the Spin one time. The Bridal was too short and put an excessive load on the pole and bent it into a bow. we tried to straighten it good luck but set the spare up for Dip Pole. Dip Pole Gybing with six people and running back stays in 30 knots in the middle of the Pacific is not for the faint of heart.

Charlie
On a 40' boat, I couldn't concieve of not dip-poling, whatever the breeze (I'm not saying you are wrong, just end-for-ending with a kite that big would scare the be-crappers outta me). I spent some time as bowman on an S&S 34 where they end-for-ended (the vessel had a baby-stay, that they insisted had to stay "on" when running ), so that ruled out dip-poling. Even on a 34' boat, I found end-for-ending in over 15 knots of breeze a real handful...I guess it was masthead kites, but even so... I guess, end-for-ending only requires 1 person on the bow and nobody on topper & kicker, so it is potentially better if short handed....still, whatever works, huh!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 14:53   #48

Weyalan, if you are using lazy sheets there is no load on the lazy guys so you just push the pole across. Of the mast, on the new guy, of the old guy, on the mast. Maybe tens second? The load is on the sheet and lazy sheet. The pole has no weight, it is being held by the topping lift, the down haul is free, I face aft when doing this holding the new guy in one hand and the pole end in the other. Quick and easy but you have to be down, the pole squared, the load on the sheets, and a driver that keeps the boat under the kite. Not hard.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 12:42   #49
cruiser

Loose footed mains

I've been using a loose footed main for 22 years , and several Pacific crossings. I Never got around to putting a track on the boom and haven't yet found a reason to. You definitly want a stiff boom tho.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2006, 22:57   #50

Boat: Newport 41 mk II
The load issue on loose footed mains is bogus. Even boats as big as the AC boats or the Around Alone and VOR 70 boats use loose footed mains.

In many cases the aft attachment point for the clew is a spectra webbing that runs around the entire boom.

Racers love the config because it increases control of shape in the lower 1/3 of the main sail.

If you are looking for serious trim help, and can stand the heat, there is a "Cruiser's Anarchy" forum located over on www.sailinganarchy.com.
Go to forums, and then into cruising. Blunt, but highly expert advise.
SailorPaul is offline   Reply With Quote