Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 16:31   #1

Boat: Endeavour 43
Looking for Main Sail systems feed back

Hi Guys
I have a 43 Endeavour with a Kenyon spar that takes the flat slides for the main sail track. I binds up so the main is unusable. I need to update the track system for hoisting the main and would like to hear what others have done to make the main a joy instead of a Pain in the A%&. I have looked at the Harkin but I know there are others that might be better and less expensive.
Thanks in Advance
Bruce
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 16:42   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Also, try some silicone spray on the mast.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 18:29   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Looking for Main Sail systems feed back

Second using some kind of dry slide lubricant on the mast track. Hell of a lot cheaper and easier than buying a batt car system. Has to be redone occasionally but no big deal with the 'Mast Climber.'
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 18:33   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35
Look at the strong track.
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 18:41   #5

Boat: Allures 44

Try McLube.

We have the Tides Marine slide system. It's a little simpler than the ball bearing car systems, and it works great for us. Not sure if it costs any less. We have two full length battens and two partial.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 19:49   #6

Boat: Endeavour 43

I think the track has lost its anodizing and I can see some corrosion in the track. At this stage I don't think the silicone would be a long term solution. I looked at the Tides marine and was wondering how tight of a radius can the extrusion turn as you push it up the track.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 19:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Brankin,

I've sold Strong Track since the 1990's and everyone has been very happy with the results. Don't worry about the radius. There are always ways to install it. If you need to, you can use a die grinder to create a new gate. On some boats we just pull the gooseneck fitting.

One caveat and this is a biggie. It's not always possible to adapt the old main for use with Strong Track (or any other track system). The luff of the sail will be moved aft. The headboard may not clear the backstay. The tack moves aft and you may have to just lash it. Naturally the clew moves aft as well and if it's already very close to the end of the boom, you may not have adequate outhaul tension.

If your mainsail is older, it's best to wait until you're replacing the sail to install the track. There's a fair amount of work in retrofitting the old sail so you end up with some labor charges. On a new main, there's no additional money spent installing the hardware because installing luff hardware is part of building the sail.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 12:56   #8

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

We recently converted from standard slugs in mainsail luff track to Rutgerson battcar system. http://www.westawaysails.co.uk/datas...sonbattcar.pdf

While not as good as a full reticulating ball-bearing system (a la Harken), they are a big step up from our old slug system, and a lot cheaper ... the mainsail is now a lot easier to hoist and drop. Another significant consideration is that the Rutgerson system was suitable for our mast luff groove, without any modification. We did have to make some changed to the entry gate though.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail