Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 10:25   #1

Boat: Seaward 22
Looking down at the top of mast to work

I haven't seen any rigging that allows a worker to be halfway above the top of mast in order to work downward instead of reaching up and over top of mast. Looking for solutions to make working on equipment at the top easier and safer.
EllisElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Looking down at the top of mast to work

ATN makes an 'inchworm' bosun's chair that allows for single-hand climbing and standing above the masthead slightly. There's a bit of courage required because your safety line is well below you at that point.
ATN Mastclimber | Single Handed Bosun Chair | Climbing the Mast

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 14:52   #3

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

I have placed 2 folding mast steps just below the top of the mast, once up there I clip a safety line (cows tail) to the spinnaker crane and another strop around the mast and back to the harness the I can stand on the steps hands free to work at chest height to the mast top. If I work on other masts, make up 2 footloops to stand in. I use a proper climbing or height access harness. Too easy to fall out of a bosuns chair.
Wayne
Old 02-04-2019, 03:58   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
I have placed 2 folding mast steps just below the top of the mast ...
Indeed.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:29   #5

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Everyone working aloft should be aware of something called “Suspension trauma”.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38   #6
KTP

We use a MastMate ladder webbing ladder that attaches to a halyard and hooks into the sail slug slots so it doesn't swing away. I also wear a harness hooked to a second halyard and use a prusik loop on a 3rd halyard for just that extra bit of safety (ok I am insane).

The MastMate has sort of rigid steps near the top so technically you could go all the way up and kind of stand above the mast, realizing that your safety harness and prusik loop attachment would have quite a shock load if you slipped. I think it would be too butt clenching for me.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:10   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Easy. As you can plainly see, I am looking down.

In this case I am using a MastMate, but that is not the key. I anchor my harness to the masthead itself with slings. I can get as high as I want.

(The slings are just for positioning. I am also attached to a halyard.)

As for suspension trauma, I add additional padding to my climbing harness (foam floor tiles). This makes it comfortable for 20 minutes at least. It also helps to keep some weight on your feet and to move around a little. Don't sit still.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:13   #8
KTP

I have to say the MastMate sure does make the climbing part a lot easier. I watched a fellow sailor try to go up having a shipmate winch him and after about 20 minutes he was about halfway up then came back down.
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:32   #9

Not a fan of mast steps but on one boat I put two up near the mast head for that purpose. once you are up there you can fold them down and stand on them. Maybe 3.5-4 feet from the top.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:37   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension-Trauma-Infographic-edit-e1490730591286.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	189227
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:52   #11

Boat: KP 46

A simple bosun chair made out of a 2 ×12 allows you to get on your knees at mashead. If you worry about slipping you can put a harness on and clip onto the spinnaker bail with a short teather. Simple and safe. (I have even lowered it a bit and stood up as it can be tiring on your knees).
M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:13   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Attach a sling (webbing loop) to your halyard and just stand on that once you've reached the top of the mast. It can be adjusted to the extra height you need. The one I use use has a dowel in it so the webbing doesn't clamp around my shoe, but even a piece of rope works for a few minutes without strain.

Matt
Old 02-04-2019, 10:22   #13

I have the mastmate system which has steps that you slide up the mainmast. This works well and you can definately get above the master. I use a D ring harness for safety
richardhenshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25   #14

Boat: C&C 37

Having used Bosun's Chairs for over 40 years, ranging from a wood plank with rope yoke to Dinghy hiking belt, it wasn't until a became a Safety Trainer - including Heights Training that I realized how lucky I had been (even using safety back-up halyard/line). Regardless of the type of Bosun's Chair or Mast Climbing device you use, I now strongly advise that you also use a full construction style heights safety harness for any mast work. Can be expensive, but good ones available on Amazon for $55 - $70 (Cdn). All have main safety line attachment at top back - some also have a chest attachment point on the front, which may be more convenient. Leg straps ($10-15) that attach and you can stand on help reduce suspension trauma, and some extra padding for longer periods, as someone mentioned above are also a good idea. Having seen the damage that can be inflicted on a body by deck equipment in even a short fall (I am a first responder also) I recommend that your mast climbing kit should include a full safety harness.
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:52   #15

I have ascended the mast the conventional way a few times and for a quick inspection it's fine. For any serious work I prefer to tie my boat up to the seawall and Rent a " towable boom lift". They are available everywhere and the 50' reach is enough to get me to the masthead on my 41' gulfstar. As with any overhead work you'll still want a harness. Just another option for those more involved projects....having a helper, all of my tools and equipment aloft is just so much easier....good luck and be safe!
Southtexassailr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast