Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2018, 16:19   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Long shore lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
galvanized wire rope loops for securing around onshore rocks, then tie line to loop.
We tried wire loops and chain loops - but found it better to just use a piece of big (diameter) old rigging line (old sheet usually) - much easier to handle and stow and 'free'. And that we did rarely - Honestly we never really had any serious chafe concerns and usually just tied the main line in (as ping said with a REALLY long bowline you can reach from the dinghy).

we did use chain loops infrequently on really rough docks - the sort:concrete with rebar sticking out
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 16:57   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The flat line on drums can be either flat line or tubular webbing, which is much stronger. Made in nylon or polyester, different UV resistance and strength and cost. The entire point of them is not that they are "better" than a traditional 3-plait rope, but that the flat line allows them to be stowed very compactly, so you can carry a 200' spool as a neat flat spool instead of a huge mess of rope.

For more frequent use? I'd stick to rope, as a stronger choice for heavier use. With better shock absorption, yes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 17:56   #18
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Not to split fibers, but unless you're using hemp or sisal or one of those, all your lines are synthetic. Chafe is a problem for all sorts of line, natural and synthetic--it's just a shame to chafe up a super-expensive synthetic line rather than a super-cheap synthetic one. I have sacrificial bits of line I carry for areas where chafe is an issue, and often tie my good lines to them after they've been put in the chafe-y spots.
Sorry I was to lazy to write out "expensive HMPE (High Modulus Polyethylene) fibre and like you if I have to risk chafing a line I would prefer it to be of the lesser expensive kind.
D
Old 10-02-2018, 05:25   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

btw - this is how we stowed our long lines (shore lines and spare anchor rodes):

Click image for larger version

Name:	linebagsdoc.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	163826

See it on deck in use:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brecknockdoc.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	163827

The mesh fabric allows the line to drain/dry. The tall and narrow shape means it runs out without tangling (unlike a 'duffle bag' shape which will tangle). They have a wire hoop sewn into the opening to hold it open while stuffing the line it - not necessary but nice. I made them up myself with a sailrite.

We looked at various spools but they were more difficult to stow and mount/use and expensive - and these bags worked pretty much perfectly.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:49   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I store my 5/8" yellow three-strand polypropylene lines in these bags from Westmarine:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...05_151_003_506

I haven't used them a lot, but so far there haven't been any tangles. I roughly fake the line into the bag and it comes out easily. The bitter end leaves the bag through a hole in the end, so I can secure it before starting to deploy the line.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote