Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2018, 12:53   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Locks on a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpillTheWine View Post
You will learn very quickly there are no great locks.
While I agree that almost all locks can be compromised with a little knowledge, there are exceptions. What really opened my eyes was seeing how easy it is to pick a cylindrical key/lock with a Bic pen - I replaced my bike locks immediately. From the beginning I reinforced my (single) drop board and installed a dead bolt which I still use decades later, after many years in warm, salty environments. It is a pick-proof Miwa lock, which uses up to 14 magnets in the key to unlock. Each spot can have North out, South out, or no magnet, for 3 to the 14th power combinations. The real advantage is that there are no exposed tumblers to foul or corrode, the key to its longevity.

While a direct assault against my companionway hatch would be noisy and/or time-consuming, there are other, better, approaches that would yield results - but I'm not talking. A pro would be inside with little effort, even though at first glance the boat looks impregnable. The only real security is to be in a safe place with others watching.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 12:58   #17

They also will take your Roller fuller with sail and your mast will fall. They will take your anchor and line to let your boat drift wherever. Sorry to tell you this. Just a caution. They can sell all of this.
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:43   #18

Boat: Tartan 37C

I locked my boat and they kicked in the companion way. Locks are for honest people. I no longer lock my boat but I also don't leave anything of value on my boat. I know that its a pain in the ass but that is the world we live in today.
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:59   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Unless you're in a very remote location an alarm that sets off a horn would be effective. With a timer to tern it off after a period of time. It may scare the $hit out of them and get some ones attention.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 19:38   #20

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharlton View Post
I like the idea of locks too. Where could I find any posts about locking a sailboat?
Atom Voyages - Atom's Improvement Projects Page 1
nic26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 20:36   #21

If "they" can smash in the hatch, companionway boards it does not matter how big or good your locks are. Maybe make all your entrances, hatches semi indestructible, like steel doors on a house. Bet there are a lot of almost indestructible materials.
Old 16-07-2018, 20:52   #22

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
-Get hasps that cover the screws when locked.
-Get good quality combination locks so you can make the code all the same.
A crowbar will defeat most anything but that's the best you can do.
There’s nothing more valuable inside the boat than the cost of repairs from a break in

Use alarms and let the break in be easy. Check out boatcommand.com. I’m just a happy customer, no affiliation.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 14:10   #23

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

If you expect to be boarding your boat in the dark I would stay away from combination locks. They are a pain in a dark or dimly lit mooring, especially for some of us with older eyes. Key locks should be all brass.
Also, I have often used the idea of mooring near more expensive boats than mine to make mine seem less attractive.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 12:21   #24

Boat: 30'

I can't believe the replies I've been getting so far. I can't thank all of you enough for the help and wisdom. This boat was an inheritance and I would like to continue using it as my grandfather has. Idk if I've mentioned this yet but my wenches on the sails have been stolen months ago at a marina after last year's hurricane in Florida. But from all the effort I this thread, I would like to take very, very detailed and many pictures of my boat to get further help, hopefully 😀. I'm 26 btw so I've got energy and time since I'm a contractor and work for myself.

Thank all of you for spending your time to explain what is best for the boat. Someone did say about the water pumps pumping water out off a battery. Well I do believe they're working and I have 2 batteries and 2 solar panels. My Grandfather's friend has told me a few things to keep in mind, that being g one of them, I hope. Batteries are expensive and I imagine a new water pump would be appealing to a thief. Things like that scare me.
sircharlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 12:44   #25

Thanks for the reply.
Old 23-07-2018, 00:02   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sircharlton View Post
Idk if I've mentioned this yet but my wenches on the sails have been stolen months ago at a marina after last year's hurricane in Florida.
I hate it when someone takes my wenches.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 00:25   #27

Boat: Hans Christian 41

http://www.ospreymarine.co.uk

Industrial strength boat lock, hidden screws, very well engineered. 1/2 hour to fit.

Highly recommend it.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, drilling, Locks, safety, sail, sailboat