Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 06:17   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Line slipping thru clutch, but shouldn't

I purchased new jib sheets from Miami Cordage 2 years ago, got 1/2" 'probraid', see the red line in the pic. This is much 'softer' than the other sheets that are on the boat, the exterior jacket can be squeezed a bit until you can feel the interior line core. I wanted a line that was a bit more pliable. Never had a problem for the first year, I noticed last year it slipped once or twice, this year it is unuseable! Slips all the time.

The clutches are good for 8 - 14mm, this is 1/2" so it should work just fine? Maybe something I don't know about purchasing this type of line, that I need a size up, or the jacket stretches?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_113744.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	194584   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_113737.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	194585  

jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 06:36   #2

Re: Line slipping thru clutch, but shouldn't

Well miami cordage manufactures their own line. Sounds like the jacket and probably the core have stretched out enough to slip. Not to many ways around it. Softer, more playable will stretch more.

You could possibly add material to the core. 1/8” Paracord passed within the core of the sheets might do it. Just be careful not to muck up the rest of the line.

Besides that, I’d say stop by Sailing Services in miami and get new sheets for some stiffer material.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 06:45   #3

JC, thanks! I just called them, they told they no longer make that line, it's weave was too loose, but have a 'tighter' weave, which they will sell to me for a 20% discount. It was only 50' of line, so I might just buy it from defender, they have samson braid on sale for $1 a foot. Not that happy with this service from them.
Old 24-06-2019, 09:43   #4

Defender is fine but sailing services will probably be cheaper for the same product. If your in miami then you can save on the shipping
Old 24-06-2019, 10:51   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

Jib sheets through clutches?
Aren't your winches self-tailing?
Do these sheets slip in the tailing jaws?
1977 Tayana 37 #91 S/V Ramble On

www.svrambleon.com
thereefgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 11:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereefgeek View Post
Jib sheets through clutches?
Aren't your winches self-tailing?
Do these sheets slip in the tailing jaws?
Line does not slip in tailing jaws. Just thru the clutch. Had to take the line of the winch to put another line on, just slipped out and jib started luffing. Not good.

Miami cordage admitted line is not made well, they told me they don't make or carry this anymore, that the weave was too loose, or maybe the core to small. Just thought they should possibly be offering me something better than 20% off on a new line. Not worth losing to much sleep over it, I need about 40', line is about $1 a foot, so this isn't going to let me retire any earlier...Liked the line as it was much softer in the hands and more pliable than what came with the boat.
Old 24-06-2019, 12:40   #7

Boat: Hylas 49

It is also likely that the cams in the clutches are worn. I'd try another piece of line under load to test it.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 19:51   #8

Boat: Lipari 41

You can purchase replacement clutches, also if the line is new try washing it in some detergent, each of those worked for me
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 20:39   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2boat View Post
You can purchase replacement clutches, also if the line is new try washing it in some detergent, each of those worked for me
I somehow doubt that a pair of new clutches would be cheaper than the quoted $40.00 for more appropriate new line.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 21:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Clutch jaws do wear out. Spinlock sells rebuild kits for their clutches. Not cheap but way less than a new clutch. https://search.defender.com/expressi...clutch&x=0&y=0
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 21:31   #11

Line slipping thru clutch, but shouldn't

I would be super shocked if clutches needed anything. The pictures show them looking fairly good. If you try adding core then please let us know how it goes. A long wire fid would be my tool of choice. [emoji1417]
Old 24-06-2019, 23:30   #12

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If I'd bought 12mm line that slipped through an 8-14mm clutch within two years I'd take it back for a refund. They've admitted it's sub-par stuff.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 08:51   #13

Properly sized horn cleats - how very old-fashioned! - will handle a variety of line diameters and materials, they are utterly reliable. never fail and never wear out. Into the bargain they are quicker to use than new-fangled line clutches. Easier on cold, wet fingers, too! And they give you a place to hang your coiled falls.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 10:22   #14

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Do you flip the clutch closed prior to hauling in on the winch on a new tack? That can contribute to excess wear on the clutche's serrated teeth. Lift up the clutch jaws and look the the serrated surface. If there's a nice round groove in the center, buying new sheets will only work for a while. If there is a grove, I've had good luck filing the individual teeth. Some clutches require complete dis-assembly to do this, others allow you sufficient portion to do this in place. If this doesn't stop the line from slipping, not o my should you reacted sheets but also the clutch jaws.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 12:05   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Personally, I'd be uncomfortable not being able to dedicate the primaries to the jib and secondaries to the reacher/chute. I've never had a boat with jammers for these and I don't think I want it.

I'd be looking at solving that problem. I also have a feeling that part of the problem is using jammers in this application (hauling in and releasing under load). Bad design, IMO.

Tags
clutch