Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2019, 21:18   #16

Boat: Schionning Wilderness 1340
Re: Line slipping thru clutch, but shouldn't

I have been having the same problem with Spinlock XTS clutches.
Got on line and googled overhaul and found that the locking cam was seized up sprayed with WD40 or INOX and worked it back and forth tillm it was nice and free and now they are working beautifully.
The solution might be much easier than you think. Make sure the clutch is wirking freely before spending more money.
Aqualibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 22:50   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I still don’t understand jib sheets through clutches to a self tailing winch. Why?
Old 26-06-2019, 04:48   #18

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I still don’t understand jib sheets through clutches to a self tailing winch. Why?

Probably because they are using the winch for something else like the furling line. Keeping tension on the sheet while changing it to a cleat and using the winch to furl the headsail while letting the sheet out around the cleat. Some have a dedicated winch or are small enough to hand pull but that is one reason to have them on some boats.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 18:06   #19

Boat: Pearson 34

I'm with thinwater. Forget using a clutch to handle the jib sheets, and use secondary winch for other applications.
RSB333
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 19:01   #20

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualibrium View Post
I have been having the same problem with Spinlock XTS clutches.
Got on line and googled overhaul and found that the locking cam was seized up sprayed with WD40 or INOX and worked it back and forth tillm it was nice and free and now they are working beautifully.
The solution might be much easier than you think. Make sure the clutch is wirking freely before spending more money.
Thanks.

The clutches have been in use for 3 seasons, used maybe 30 days a season. For day sailing. Highly doubt they are worn at all. Manufac admitted to sub par line.

Clutches work fine with the original jib sheet that came with the boat, which is much stiffer, see the blue line in the pics.

For those that don't understand the use of these, there are 2 winches at the helm, large electric, and smaller manual. To these are led, both jib sheets, main sheet, main halyard, and 2 reefing lines. Normally I just use the large winch for the jib sheet, but at the point in time it slipped, I wanted to reef the main, so I wanted the winches to put both the main halyard on, and the reefing line on. So I wanted to lock down the jib while I was doing this.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch