Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 12:08   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Line frayed, how do I fix this on the boat

I guess the picture shows it all. How do i cut this line (I do have both sharp serrated and non serrated knives) , and how to seal it, while on the boat. This is my main halyard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170521_124942.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	401.7 KB
ID:	148414  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:17   #2

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Line frayed, how do I fix this on the boat

Go to any marine shop that sells braided line and they will have a heated blade that cuts it cleanly with no fraying.
As an alternative, take an old kitchen or shop knife and heat it up not quite to red and slowly cut the line. Do not just light it with a lighter as you will end up with a bulb of resin on the end and probably drips of resin around your dock or deck.
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 12:18   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

First the disclaimer: If it's aramid cored, you can't use heat to tidy it up/seal it. Since it won't melt into a smooth, monocoque end.

Start by whipping it, wrap it with heat shrink tubing, or electrical tape. Then cut, either with a knife or hot knife, & heat seal the end (melt it).

And if you tell us what it's made of we can offer up specific rec's. Though the core doesn't appear to be aramid.

EDIT: I disagree about the flaming blob concept. Get the whole end on fire, just out past the piece of heat shrink tubing, blow it out, & then it's easy to smooth the whole thing into a monocoque end. Typically a flat one if you have any dexterity at all. Been doing that one to lines since I could ride a bike.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 14:28   #4

what I normally do with less expensive line is what uncivilized say, wrap it with tape, then cut the tape, then heat with a lighter until on fire, then douse in a cup of water.

However, this my halyard line, braided poly i am thinking.
Old 25-05-2017, 15:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

There are different ways to do this. For whatever it may be worth, I would whip it tightly FIRST. Then cut it -- with scissors.

I had a surgeon on board with me for a few cruises. This person explained to me that for precise cutting work on the human body, no one uses knives or scalpels anymore. Scalpels for cutting skin to start an incision, but very sharp scissors after that.

That pretty much cemented my attachment to scissors. I bought an extremely sharp pair of micro-serrated scissors, sold as "dyneema shears", from D Splice. I admit that I was never a great knifesman, so if you have great skill with knives, as some on here do, YMMV. But speaking at least for myself -- I could never cut anything so cleanly and precisely or easily with knives, as I do with scissors.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 15:47   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

You should whip it and with a bosun's loop on the end. Leave the torch for a bong or something.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 16:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You should whip it and with a bosun's loop on the end.
Well said. All halyard should have Reeving Splices in their bitter ends.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 25-05-2017, 17:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Well the "meh" way is to burn the end. The so-so way is a proper whipping. The slick way is to back splice the double braided line (several YouTube videos on this).
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 17:56   #9

Boat: Able 50

Back splicing a braid halyard isn't such a good idea. That makes the end of the halyard quite thick and easy to jam in a sheave. Murphy had decreed that the jam will be in the sheave at the top of the mast not the exit box near the deck.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 18:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
There are different ways to do this. For whatever it may be worth, I would whip it tightly FIRST. Then cut it -- with scissors.

I had a surgeon on board with me for a few cruises. This person explained to me that for precise cutting work on the human body, no one uses knives or scalpels anymore. Scalpels for cutting skin to start an incision, but very sharp scissors after that.

That pretty much cemented my attachment to scissors. I bought an extremely sharp pair of micro-serrated scissors, sold as "dyneema shears", from D Splice. I admit that I was never a great knifesman, so if you have great skill with knives, as some on here do, YMMV. But speaking at least for myself -- I could never cut anything so cleanly and precisely or easily with knives, as I do with scissors.
sorry to sound ignorant, but can somebody point out whipping for this type of line? Just tightly wrap with twine, or does it have to be with a needle to sew it thru?

Also, d splicer shears not sold by ronstan in the US, at least from what I can see on their site, but did find this on amazon, looks like it has what you suggest for scissors:

https://www.amazon.com/6-1-Carbon-St...dyneema+shears

carbon steel shears , micro serrated, etc.
Old 25-05-2017, 18:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Back splicing a braid halyard isn't such a good idea. That makes the end of the halyard quite thick and easy to jam in a sheave. Murphy had decreed that the jam will be in the sheave at the top of the mast not the exit box near the deck.
A Reeving Splice is where the cover is back spliced at the halyard's tail end absent of core, forming a small eye used for reeving. So it's actually thinner than the halyard itself. And they're purpose designed for inserting & removing halyards.

For the OP's question on whipping. You've not told us what sort of line it is, not that it much matters for whipping. The technique is universal.

A caution on scissors. Just from a geometry perspective, you'll likely have trouble cutting cordage of moderate to large diameter using scissors with such short cutting edges. Where any decent knife will make short work of things.

Old 25-05-2017, 18:12   #12

Boat: Able 50

To cut a halyard wrap it tightly with electrical tape near the frayed end. Cut through the tape with a sharp knife. Leave the tape on and burn the rope until it becomes a black blob.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 18:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Not a back splice, a reeving splce.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 18:45   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Flemish splice, same or less thickness as it doesn't have a core:
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 20:22   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Line frayed, how do I fix this on the boat

Quote:

Don't know about you but I avoid skying the bitter end of my halyards. Done correctly the OD is increased by the thickness of the outside cover of the line.

The slight increase in OD only makes the figure-8 knot a tad stiff. OTOH it gives a nice finished look to jib and main sheets as well as dock lines. I do whip 1-2 of my dock lines just so they slip easier when undocking.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat