Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 04:10   #31

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'
Re: Lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Well, if it works for you then good! Seems like a reasonable thing to do. How long is the rope's span?

Two points:

* While all chainplates are good for pulls vertically, some are not happy about sideways pulls. I have seen such abuse start them leaking.

* StaySet-X is pretty stretchy stuff for lifelines. Better would be Dyneema or the like. What happens when you put all your weight against them? Can you sit on them?
Daddle, your remarks are good. I wouldn't recommend this for blue water. The span between the main and mizzen upper shrouds is about 15 feet, a bit long, I realize. But I rely on them for only for balance and always use a harness in bad weather.

Chainplates are installed parallel to the beam, so outward forces should be accommodated better than fore/aft forces. There are caps on deck they go thru, bedded with butyl. No leaks discovered yet in three years.

I agree about Dyneema. Probably will use that next time. I do have to tighten them periodically with the lashings to the pulpit.

Sit on them? Haven't tried that :-)

Best regards,
The Way
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:32   #32

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Has nobody on this thread ever reflexively grabbed a lifeline when the boat took a lurch? False sense of security? Only if you think they are jacklines strung a bit higher. I dont know about you guys, but I have on numerous occasions crawled forward and back when the boat was bounding around too much. No, I am not too proud to crawl, and yes, I was happy to have lifelines on the boat when I did that.

Oh and having a sail in the water is a complete pain in the ass. Lifelines help prevent that. They also provide a good place to clip the spinnaker bag.

And I guess nobody on this thread ever washed clothes and pinned them on the lifelines to dry? No long term cruisers here at all? Only marina sailors? Come now, lifelines have lots of uses besides tripping you up when you are going forward on your feet when you might be better off crawling.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:34   #33

Boat: Pearson 40

If you have a larger size stasetx like 3/8" or 7/16" or so, it will not stretch appreciably. Just need to to a non-slip knot, better yet a splice at each end.

Dynema is better but the stretch factor in about 30' is maybe 4" at the most, less if the staset is thicker. Tying Dynema/Spectra/Amsteel is harder as it is slippery.
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 07:31   #34

Boat: Mac 26X

I don't see it as a huge deal either way, having had both, but my crew will not be without! But on a 25' boat, I wonder if having them any higher is feasible? On my 28.5' Irwin they were 28" high and the 150 was nearly deck level, and the lifelines were in the way.
ElGatoGordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 08:12   #35
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
When I was a teenager, my primary station was the foredeck (launching, retrieving, and jibing the spinnaker) of a flush-decked, 28.5-foot sloop with only a pulpit and no lifelines. Being four times older now, I prefer all-around, wait-high metal railings. (This is my dad who was captain of that sloop, sitting on the forward cabin of my current boat.)

now thats my idea of a "lifeline" not the nonsense one sees these days

Dave
Old 17-12-2012, 12:02   #36

Boat: O'Day 28

Yep. The more I've scampered around the foredeck (if an old guy can scamper) the more I think I'd better reinstall something, as I'm not as steady as I'd hoped. I think I'll make them 36" and have a solid top rail. Looks aren't real important to me any longer altho I'm not a fan of blue plastic tarps on my yot. Not yet. But wouldn't mind staying aboard.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 01:02   #37

While some were checking out Jude, I also noticed the Banyandah's "life lines". Good stuff.
Old 20-12-2012, 22:52   #38

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab
While some were checking out Jude, I also noticed the Banyandah's "life lines". Good
Those are truly worthy of the name
Old 20-12-2012, 23:04   #39

Sorry, those are not lifelines but handrails. Good idea for a heavy cruiser.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 23:57   #40

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

I vote for lifelines - and netting. When I first installed the "babystrainer" for my daughters sake, I could not wait for her to grow older so I could remove it ASAP. Now I will probably keep the netting forever. It is just great to have nothing larger than 2 inches go overboard like buckets, lines or crabs.

Also vote for taller stanchions if possible to make strong. Panope's rail is 36" above forward deck and about 29" aft (seems a little low). 24" sounds really low.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Aug 439.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	51513  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 00:25   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Sorry, those are not lifelines but handrails.
Nope; not handrails either. It's a fence...
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 00:59   #42

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Blue Crab, Should you decide to reinstall those lifelines, may I suggest that you visit this website on how to do the job correctly to preserve your deck core.
Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
gts1544
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 02:08   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
Blue Crab, Should you decide to reinstall those lifelines, may I suggest that you visit this website on how to do the job correctly to preserve your deck core.
gts1544
Love the site... Thanks for posting the link...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 05:39   #44

pirate Re: Lifelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts1544 View Post
gts1544
Yepper... Thanks. Maine Sail is the man! I bought some butyl from him awhile back.

I had to rethink my agility after almost falling off the boat on the stands which are welded to a race car trailer ... maybe 10'.

Now I'm looking at chain link fencing -- way cheaper than stainless tube and doesn't need to be welded. Some barbed wire might dissuade unwanted visitors too.

Tags
lifelines