Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 17:54   #1

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166
Question Lewmar 30ST Winch - Handle Not Locking

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out why my winch handle will not lock in my Lewmar 30ST winch. The handle goes in and out freely. If I move the lock on the handle it cannot be removed from the winch. Basically the lock is working backwards.

The handle seems okay to my untrained eye. The lock rotates fine. The spring is intact. The square plate moves freely.

When I look in the main spindle of the winch I do not see how the handle is supposed to lock. Therefore I am uncertain where the problem is. The Lewmar service manual that I have does not discuss servicing the spindle or handle in any way.

Is there a component in the main spindle that needs servicing, or is the problem most likely with the handle?

Regards,
Brent
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 19:10   #2

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch
Hi Brent ,
With the handle out of the winch, the corners of the square locking plate should be between the vertices (points) of the spline . This is the neutral position and if the handle was in the winch you would not be able to remove it. By turning the lever against the spring, the corners of the square plate line up with the vertices(points ) of the spline allowing you to insert the handle into the winch. Release the lever and the spring positions the corners of the plate in the locked position. Sorry this is so wordy.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:25   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Lewmar 30ST winch - handle not locking

Try the handle in someone else's winch.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 23:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe
Try the handle in someone else's winch.
Kinky...
Old 11-02-2012, 05:02   #5

Boat: Catalina 270LE #166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibiruwayne
Hi Brent ,
With the handle out of the winch, the corners of the square locking plate should be between the vertices (points) of the spline . This is the neutral position and if the handle was in the winch you would not be able to remove it. By turning the lever against the spring, the corners of the square plate line up with the vertices(points ) of the spline allowing you to insert the handle into the winch. Release the lever and the spring positions the corners of the plate in the locked position. Sorry this is so wordy.
Awesome. Great description. I suspect the handle is the problem.

Thanks.
bluenoser613 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, winch