Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 03:38   #46
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater64 View Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that oil burning anchor lights are no longer allowed.

Is that right? Did they pass a law requiring electric lights?
Rule 30 (b) says: A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

End of rule.
So it can be whatever you like> Hurricane lantern is fine And don't have to be up the top of the mast. In deed up the top of the mast may contrevene the rule: where it can best be seen.

"Non-electric lights shall so far as practicable comply with the minimum intensities, as specified in the table given in section 8 of this Annex."

"(b) (i) All-round lights shall be so located as not to be obscured by masts, topmasts or structures within angular sectors of more than 6 degrees, except anchor lights prescribed in Rule 30, which need not be placed at an impracticable height above the hull.
(ii) If it is impracticable to comply with paragraph (b)(i) of this section by exhibiting only one all-round light, two all-round lights shall be used suitably positioned or screened so that they appear, as far as practicable, as one light at a distance of one mile."

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:42   #47
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
if you comply, you're OK, if you don't comply, you're not OK...simple

I'm sure even you can understand that !
I can understand what you are saying. But you, nor I, are the judge of compliance

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:21   #48
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
regs / reality

Quote:
MarkJ

I've had enough of this BS discussion..the regs are the regs...if you don't like em, then get on the authority that makes these decisions and change it...o'wise, if you comply, you're OK, if you don't comply, you're not OK...simple

Now this I always find interesting and a dilemma. Do you comply with the col regs and have your anchor light at the top of the mast, running the risk of being rammed at night cos in a busy anchorage it´s next to useless as it is too high up. Or have the light lower down where it will be seen and run the risk of being sued. Both seems the best idea.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25   #49

Boat: s/v Zero To Cruising. PDQ 32 Altair Classic Catamaran
I didn't mention this when I posted about the Owl earlier but I installed the Owl light from Bebi at the top of our mast and also acquired one of their Lulu Kaukaua lights to be hung closer to the deck. The energy draw on both those LEDs is still way less than the other light that we had.

LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use

Mike
Old 11-04-2010, 06:37   #50

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
I replaced my Davis string-up anchor light BA-9 bulbs with replacement LED modules form SUPER BRIGHT LEDS - LED Lights & Accessories. They are much brighter and draw a bit less power (80 milliamps) than the original incandescent bulbs. I actually have two, in one I put an amber LED module, and the other a white.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:43   #51

Boat: Corsair F31"Susan C" & Sea Pearl 21"Maggie"
I use a Dr LED replacement in an Aqua Signal series 40 hoistable light in the fore triangle about 30 ft off the water. Too many close calls when at the masthead which is 50ft off the water. No problems to date with law enforcement, in Florida they seem happy that I have any light at all. Dave
DaveOnCudjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33   #52

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
MarkJ

I've had enough of this BS discussion..the regs are the regs...if you don't like em, then get on the authority that makes these decisions and change it...o'wise, if you comply, you're OK, if you don't comply, you're not OK...simple

Easy there killer, things are getting a little hot considering we are just talking about light bulbs.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 13:39   #53

Boat: Pearson 281
I bought the ORCA masthead w solinoid last year on a vendors discount, mounted it just recently, put the stick back up checked and it shown very nicely. Went to the chandler's and flipping through a Practical Sailor saw that it was the worst rated for radio interference... aw dang it... went back to the boat and sure enough plenty of static. I had to set the squelch threshold way up. Something to keep in mind when shopping led mastheads.
BTW... can anyone recommend a DIY sheilding option that might counteract the interference?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 14:08   #54
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Seems like a lot of folks could answer their own fears by just downloading a copy of COLREGS. Yes, it is that easy, you don't even have to buy the printed version any more.

And you'd find that there's no regulation against EXCEEDING the Colregs minimum requirements for equipment, which means a cheap investment in solar party lights to make the boat visible from the water close-up at night is perfectly legal, too. The same reason that commercial fisherman light up with (DUH!) sodium vapor "parking lot" lights. 100% legally.

What do you call a thousand lawyers wrapped in chains at the bottom of the sea?
>A good start.

What do you call a thousand lawyers in quick drying concrete up to their necks?
>A concrete shortage.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 15:31   #55

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
No boats gunna hit you with these lil flappers!!!!!!!
Sorry Mark, whenever I see a bunch of glow in the dark dragonflies, I always gun it right towards them, like a moth to a candle! Reminds me of Tinkerbell...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 19:32   #56

My whole complaint with this whole odyssey - finding LED surrogates not just for my anchor light but every other light in my boat - has been to find a light that has the same footprint as a regular old BA15 bulb. (As you may have read in my other posts I have some really nice brass lights that I won't do away with) The Dr LED replacement bulbs are ridiculously bulky compared to a regular 1157. As per Mike's link (LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use) it just seems like those BA15 replacements wouldn't even in the right direction.

I think the first guy to design a light that is the same body and bulb-head as BA15would be in business. Until then I am resigned to leave the rest of my incandescents in and just not sail much at night.
Old 12-04-2010, 14:06   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I suspect there's no way to massage existing LED technology to replace a BA15 in the same size. Even if you used high-power emitters, in that tiny package there's no way to heat sink them without adding liquid cooling and a radiator. (G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 14:46   #58

I used the dual pin seni blubs to replace the 1157 style with a cheap adapter that lookis like the base of the bulb
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 16:09   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I used the dual pin seni blubs to replace the 1157 style with a cheap adapter that lookis like the base of the bulb
Can you show a link to that model?
Old 12-04-2010, 16:59   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
davis ind made one for 60 dollars lol..no stick! but i get the garden walkway lights from costco at a warehouse that sells their returns for only 4-6 dollars ..lol...my true anchor light in kerosene and antique with a fresnel lens and is visible for over 3 miles.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor