Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2016, 01:33   #16

Boat: Oyster 66
Re: Leaking hydralic backstay tensioner, removing?

I'll bet it's the ram oil seal that has failed. It's a weak spot. If you see oil dripping on the neck where the ram exits the cylinder that's a clue. Buy a seal kit from Navtec and replace the parts. The kit includes a full set of seals, so it is a complete strip down and rebuild. Should take a few hours for the first time. You may need a pin wrench depending on your model.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 02:37   #17

Hi!

Not sure whether to rebuild or remove the tensioner. Which choice is more KISS, please?
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:02   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Hi I had a similar problem an lost all oil from unit, but the unit held together, and supported the now very slack back stay, I used running back stays an a block to the primary winch to support the mast ( an roller furling unit) an then removed the hydrolic unit. I then had a short length of " back stay " with a bottle screw at the base to replace the unit.This way I have ensured that I do not have this problem again, happy to send photos of the new set up.
I think I'm going to keep the tensioner after a rebuild but I can see why you did what you did. Pics would be nice! I might put together a bit of cable with a screw like you have as a spare. It wouldn't be very expensive.

And thanks to barnakiel and polu for their posts! I rebuilt my autopilot cylinder years ago. It was fine for a while and then it started leaking (after 10k nm). So I replaced it in NZ. I
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 22:20   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Make a canvas cover for your tensioner. Keeps dirt, sand and sunlight from damaging your seals.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:39   #20

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Make a canvas cover for your tensioner. Keeps dirt, sand and sunlight from damaging your seals.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Good tip! The boat came with a canvas cover on the tensioner. And it is stained from the leaking oil from when I got it. When I get it fixed I'll either clean up the one I have or make a new one with my spiffy Sailrite sewing machine.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:00   #21

Guys, considering removing the tensioner completely and adding a second wire from aft to masthead.

Not sure what's best practice if I do so, where to bolt second wire at mast top.

I want to achieve more safety as we have kids aboard.

Cheers
Bob666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:34   #22
Eternal Member

In 1992 on a rough passage to Grenada from the BVI my Navtec hydraulic backstay started shooting oil out the top and the piston was pulling out. Scared the sh__ out of us as we were then in 45-knot winds and 18-20ft seas.

We quickly rigged two 3/4" nylon lines around the backstay above the tensioner and led each thru snatch blocks to the big cockpit winches. That worked well for the next 100 miles until we reached Grenada and could do more efficient repairs.

Took the old Navtec to a dealer in Annapolis who wanted $1,200 to repair it. A new one at the time was about $1,500.

Decided, wisely, to remove the damned thing completely. In many thousands of miles offshore and some 24 years of sailing haven't missed it a bit. I have a strong rig, tall mast, 10mm 1x19 standing rigging.

For my money, unless you're racing I'd dump the tensioner altogether. One less thing to worry about :-)

Bill
s/v Born Free
Bob Perry-designed Golden Wave 42
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 10:36   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

There is no need for a second independent backstay. If it breaks, the running backs, mainsail, and topping lift will support the mast well enough to keep it from breaking. You have already started to uncover the problems involved (which one takes the load, the slack one flexes about and fatigues). If you want to get rid the tensioner, make up a short piece of wire with a turnbuckle to replace it, or replace the whole backstay. If you replace the whole backstay, consider SSB insulators in the new one.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2017, 11:59   #24

I would suggest installing a turnbuckle in the end of the backstay, above the hydraulic cylinder. When the cylinder looses pressure you can tighten the turnbuckle in order to get some tension. No need to remove the hydraulic cylinder at sea in case it fails.

One turnbuckle will not give you excellent tensioning as the movement is quite limited. But it will be enough to safely continue the sail. If you want better tension install two turnbuckles above the cylinder.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backstay tensioner