Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-12-2012, 12:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Leaking Hatch Handles

Does anybody repaired leaky hatch handles and how?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:55   #2

Re: Leaking hatch handles

The only thing I could figure was to silcone the underside

Old 12-12-2012, 14:01   #3

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

Maybe perished O rings need replacing. Which brand of hatches ?
Old 12-12-2012, 14:23   #4

Boat: Irwin 40

I am guessing Orings as well. This is common and easy to fix. You should be able to remove one screw on the inside of the hatch handle. Be careful when you take it apart as shims and other little parts will want to make a direct path to the open sea if allowed to. There should be an oring under the top part. When replacing the oring use a little marine lube on them.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 14:23   #5

Leaky implies loose. How is water getting under the handle? If the handle is supposed to be permanently fixed--nonmovable--look for loose fasteners. Is the handle loose or is the handle to dog a hatch and it is the hatch which is leaking?

Use Sikaflex or even plumber's putty to bed the fasteners for handles designed to not move.

Sikaflex Sealants | Sika Corporation U.S.

Plumber's Putty
Old 13-12-2012, 00:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by memo18111 View Post
Here is the story; I bought the yacht last week. The bed under hatch was really wet. Then we put a hose over the hatch and there were lots of leaks. We suspect the hinge is leaking. Then removed the hinge and realized gasket was worn out. We have put good amount of silicone inside the hinge and assembled back. A few days later, when it was raining, I have seen drops coming out of handles only.
Old 13-12-2012, 02:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu
I am guessing Orings as well. This is common and easy to fix. You should be able to remove one screw on the inside of the hatch handle. Be careful when you take it apart as shims and other little parts will want to make a direct path to the open sea if allowed to. There should be an oring under the top part. When replacing the oring use a little marine lube on them.
I am new in maintenance. Can you specify content of marine lube?
Old 13-12-2012, 04:30   #8

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Petroleum jelly will probably do a similar job to marine lube (sound expensive).
There are many brands, all pretty much the same and available from supermarkets.

I used it for years on my O rings
Old 13-12-2012, 04:56   #9

Boat: Tartan 4100

I would say O-rings too. I have the Hood brand of hatches and they have O-rings for a seal. Stay away from petroleum based lubes because they will degrade the rubber o-rings, use valve grease instead which is available from any hardware store or Lowes/Home Depot.
Old 13-12-2012, 05:00   #10

Quote:
Here is the story; I bought the yacht last week. The bed under hatch was really wet. Then we put a hose over the hatch and there were lots of leaks. We suspect the hinge is leaking. Then removed the hinge and realized gasket was worn out. We have put good amount of silicone inside the hinge and assembled back. A few days later, when it was raining, I have seen drops coming out of handles only.
In the interest of troubleshooting, some questions for you:
  • Have you replaced the worn gasket?
  • When you say silicon do you mean silicon sealant?
  • What do you mean putting silicone "inside" the hinge?
  • Is this a flush deck hatch/skylight above the V berth?
I suspect the gasket is leaking and the hatch being flush deck the water has nowhere to go since the builder did not plumb to the bilge. In this case the hinge serves only as a drip point. Close examination will reveal it is not the hinge which is leaking. Water will always find it's way.

Fill a bucket with water colored with food dye. Use a highly contrasting color. Carefully pour water (using a large sponge helps because you can control stream of water) on deck at hatch and watch where water goes. Have a drip pan on the berth. In the cabin, use dry towels to sop excess water to closely inspect for the actual leak. Be methodical.
Old 13-12-2012, 05:14   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The ONLY place there should be silicon is perhaps holding the glass to the frame.

The rubber gasket should seal if it is clean. Dirt on the rim is a common problem. Otherwise,replace the gasket (sold by the foot at Defender Maine).

O-rings, of course. They seem to last about 5 years. Buy a box.

Super Lube is common grease for o-rings. Also good for the head pump.

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 05:48   #12

If gasket isn't totally dry rotted... try cleaning with soap & water or maybe some alcohol. Don't use solvents MEK or acetone or the like. If gasket is rotted then replace it. The replacement isn't difficult but getting the old gasket out is a right PITA, i'll have to admit

If the frame-to-hull seal is leaking, you can fake it for awhile by using exterior grade silicone. Tape off the hull around the frame, tape off the frame, silicone a bead at the joint, fillet with a spoon. Peel the tape immediately as the silicone will cure and it'll be a mess. Use tape because freehanding will be a mess. Be advised, when you get a chance to really fix the hatch by removing it and resealing it you'll be cursing having to clean off the silicone but if you don't have a chance to fix it right this is a good solution

you could be observing good ol' condensation, are you sure it's a leak?
Old 13-12-2012, 09:37   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
I am assuming you are sailing/refering to a mid-2000's Beneteau 343. If so, the hatches will likely be by Goiot. If Goiot, there will be a small O-Ring under the exterior portion of the handle that bears against the hatch lense. Remove the handle by loosening the screw throught the handle from the interior side of the hatch cover. If the O-Rig is intact, clean it with some alcohol and lubricate it with a little non-petroleum based grease, such as silicon grease (not sealant) and reinstall. The handle should be snugged down but not tight. If the foregoing doesn't solve the problem, replacement seals/gaskets can be obtained from Goiot. Assuming you are in Izmir, Turkey, Goiot dealers in the middle east can be found at Goļot network . I suspect that Cyprus may be your best bet.

Good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 03:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte

I am assuming you are sailing/refering to a mid-2000's Beneteau 343. If so, the hatches will likely be by Goiot. If Goiot, there will be a small O-Ring under the exterior portion of the handle that bears against the hatch lense. Remove the handle by loosening the screw throught the handle from the interior side of the hatch cover. If the O-Rig is intact, clean it with some alcohol and lubricate it with a little non-petroleum based grease, such as silicon grease (not sealant) and reinstall. The handle should be snugged down but not tight. If the foregoing doesn't solve the problem, replacement seals/gaskets can be obtained from Goiot. Assuming you are in Izmir, Turkey, Goiot dealers in the middle east can be found at Goļot network . I suspect that Cyprus may be your best bet.

Good luck...
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will be in the yacht on Sunday and will try.
Old 19-12-2012, 13:53   #15

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Leaking Hatch Handles

Hatch handles can leak in two ways: 1.)worn rubber "o" ring underneath the handle that contacts the glass or 2.) elongated or oversized hole drilled for the shaft of the hatch handle in a new piece of glass allowing the handle to move out of position when turned. This happens many times when the glass is replaced( you wouldn't know this) and the new hatch handle holes are not drilled correctly. In either case, remove your hatch handles, inspect the rubber "o" ring underneath and measure the diameter of the hole in relation to the o.d. diameter of the handle shaft that seats in the glass. The tolerance should be minimal at best. Good luck and good sailing.

Tags
hatch

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: