Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 07:24   #1

Lazy Running Backstay and Checkstay

My new-to-me sailboat has a bendy mast with both running backstays and checkstays.

The running backstay and checkstay converge together and then attach to a single block and tackle.

On the lazy stay, I can't seem to figure out how to have some tension on both the running backstay and checkstay at the same time. The braded line checkstay is loose and flailing. I'm not clear how it is normally secured.

I'm sure it is something simple and obvious, but I am missing it.

Any clues would be appreciated!

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 14:31   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Lazy Running Backstay and Checkstay

Blue Chicago,

We use a bungee to secure the lazy backstay, pulled forward. It does flop around, but not very much. Of course, this means one has to go a ways forward to undo it before using it. Hard on the wind it is not much trouble to leave it loose, but you're going to want it as you're tacking or gybing, so you have to coordinate its use. You want to get it tight as you're going through the eye of the wind, before you finish the maneuver.

Ann
Old 26-09-2017, 09:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Blue Chicago,

We use a bungee to secure the lazy backstay, pulled forward. It does flop around, but not very much. Of course, this means one has to go a ways forward to undo it before using it. Hard on the wind it is not much trouble to leave it loose, but you're going to want it as you're tacking or gybing, so you have to coordinate its use. You want to get it tight as you're going through the eye of the wind, before you finish the maneuver.

Ann
Hi Ann,

Your response got me searching my phone in hopes that I took some shots while out on the boat with the former owners. I did, and found a photo showing the running backstay secure and taught, with the checkstay loose and flailing.

Not sure if I need to be concerned or not.

Thanks!

-BC
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:28   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Bungee cords to bottom of shrouds. If you can reach your checkstay when it is run forward they each get a bungee of appropriate length. When tacking upwind you only need to slacken the leeward one slightly.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote