Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 13:44   #1

Boat: Alberg 35
lazy jacks from spreaders or mast?

I'm hoping to fit lazy jacks on my Alberg 35 this spring. I like the plan in Good Old Boats. It's simple, and it makes for lazy jacks that can be out of the way when not in use.

In the article, he hangs them from his spreaders. I've heard several people do it that way, some do it from spreader height on the mast. Any thought on relative advantages/disadvantages?
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:31   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: lazy jacks from spreaders or mast?

I moved mine from mast to spreaders to make it easier to get the battens past the jacks while raising the main.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 16:22   #3

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
I moved mine from mast to spreaders to make it easier to get the battens past the jacks while raising the main.
So did I,for same reason. Works great.
Note
: I had to put stops (u-bolts) under my spreader tips to keep spreaders from sliding down the stays.

/ Len
Old 16-03-2017, 16:37   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

If you hang them from the spreaders, make sure you do it from the ends rather than the middle, as spreaders aren't really meant to take a bending force. Spread out like that makes a nice basket for the sail to fall into easier, but you have to make sure you ease the windward lazyjack before letting the boom out, or you'll put a big force aft-ward on the spreader tip.
Ben
zartmancruising.com
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 16:44   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We mount our lazy jacks about 2/3 of the way between the mast and the tips. As we always head into the wind to drop the sail, there has been no problem with that location for the attachment. Having the "mouth" of the lazy jacks more open certainly makes life easier. Don't know about the OP, but we got tired of leading the lazy jacks forward prior and after sailing.

Ann
Old 16-03-2017, 16:51   #6

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Don't know about the OP, but we got tired of leading the lazy jacks forward prior and after sailing.

Ann
It sort of defeats the name to have them cause more work.

[emoji6]
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 16:55   #7

For us, more important than the lazy jack position was hay racks on the boom.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 17:05   #8

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Just be real carefull if you mount them out on the spreaders that you have some sort of fuse that will break before the lazyjack can rip a spreader off the mast. Often light bungy cord works.

Remember with lazyjacks set on the spreaders if you gybe one will go slack and one will tighten. Hence the bungy.

I prefer to lead them from the mast a few meters avove the spreaders then open the lazyjacks with bungy cord and bullseyes out to the spreader ends. This way the spreaders don't have any download and minimal sideloads.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-03-2017, 18:07   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

The other trick, particularly with full batten sails, is not to take the lines too far down the boom. Better to have some sail droop off side than deal with more fouling trouble. Stop at about 2/3 length.
Old 16-03-2017, 19:00   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

- Less to zero block & thimbles within reach of the sail = much, much less chafe (& cost).
- Ditto on using leather, sailcloth, or plastic chafe socks on hardware & @ hard spots (splices).
- Plastic or wooden toggles in conjunction with spliced loops work great for DIY, no chafe connectors. Ones which can easily be detached & reattached.
- Seize doublebraid connections in lieu of splicing, so things can easily be taken apart & modified. Besides, splicing doublebraid sucks. So I vote for 3-strand or 12.
- Remember to design your system so that you can controllably disconnect & stow it when it's time to put up that trysail. Otherwise you'll be flailing around with a knife cutting it loose in F8+, which could go badly.
- Then have a KISS way to tightly secure your main when the lazy jacks aren't in place in such conditions, & practice it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 19:50   #11

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Just be real carefull if you mount them out on the spreaders that you have some sort of fuse that will break before the lazyjack can rip a spreader off the mast. Often light bungy cord works.

Remember with lazyjacks set on the spreaders if you gybe one will go slack and one will tighten. Hence the bungy.

I prefer to lead them from the mast a few meters avove the spreaders then open the lazyjacks with bungy cord and bullseyes out to the spreader ends. This way the spreaders don't have any download and minimal sideloads.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Exactly! And good solution.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 21:21   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Lazy Jacks need to be mounted high so the sail doesn't spill out because of the low angle. Mine are halfway between mast head and spreaders and work fine. If you don't run them out fairly far towards the end of the boom you end up with sail hanging on top of you in the forward end of the cockpit.

Lazy jacks stay stored at the mast till I'm ready to drop the sail. No problem with them fouling the battens when raising the sail that way. They also aren't messing up the airflow when sailing. Super easy to deploy when needed.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 22:22   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Why up high? The higher up the spar the lazy jacks are mounted, the better the odds of the sail fouling on them. And they serve zero purpose but to keep the sail on the boom, which means that they're only really useful for the first few meters of a the mast above the boom. Non?

Think of them as a funnel for the main. Low, with a wide entry angle/envelope will make'em work much better at catching the sail, including from a much wider range of sail angles, such as reaching. Just as with a wide funnel vs. a tall skinny one.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 06:33   #14

Boat: Alberg 35

Thanks to all of you for responding, you've given me a lot to think about.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 07:30   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Why up high? The higher up the spar the lazy jacks are mounted, the better the odds of the sail fouling on them. And they serve zero purpose but to keep the sail on the boom, which means that they're only really useful for the first few meters of a the mast above the boom. Non?

Think of them as a funnel for the main. Low, with a wide entry angle/envelope will make'em work much better at catching the sail, including from a much wider range of sail angles, such as reaching. Just as with a wide funnel vs. a tall skinny one.

I see it as the exact opposite! I'd rather have a tall skinny funnel because it will stack the main much nicer than a wide one which allows the sail more room to flake way out.

Also, a taller, tighter funnel embraces the sail, thus less likely that a batten gets outboard of the lazy jack lines.

Mine start above the spreaders. The sail is guided down into a nice, tight slot. Very little re-flaking required, just tie it up.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast