Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 08:31   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Lazy Jacks

Does anyone have detailed instructions (preferably with pictures) on how to make some lazy jacks. I've read some other threads but its hard to visualize. I want to be able to stow them on the mast while the sail is up as well and prefer not to use any blocks if possible for price and I heard chafing can happen.

-B
Tide Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 08:41   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Lazy Jacks

Lots of pictures out there. Blocks are not needed.

Lazy jack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lazy jacks - Google Search
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lazy_jack_diagram.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	55861  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 15:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I used small cheek blocks on the mast. That 150 degree + change of direction is a high friction point. All other spots are brass rings that I picked up cheap on eBay. Except when deployed to capture the sail, the lazt jacks aretucked under their cleats at the mast. There are some photos, drawings and specs on the Pearson 35 website. Patterned mine after the ones on the graph paper drawing. Used the brass rings in place of blocks everywhere except on the mast.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 16:03   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Yep! Just use rings instead of blocks. Mine pulls forward and hooks on the mast. A very EZ set up, same as Cotemar's picture.

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityou.../lazyjack1.htm You can pull tight either way, mast or boom.

Here's the system I used>>> http://www.ezjax.com/pdfs/4l_ezjax.pdf
Old 01-03-2013, 16:31   #5

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

Mine are the same but with one exception. I take the boom ends under the boom to the other side and up to attachments that live in the sail track on top of the boom. This only works with a loose footed main. My boom is 23' long and I have a full battened main. By doing this I do not have to drill into the sides of the boom. The attachments are bronze sail slugs that have a tapped hole in the middle and a eye bolt screwed through which also holds the slug in place.
The extra slack created by the lazy jack going under the boom alows the sail to fold easier.
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 01:53   #6

Boat: Robertson 950

Hi all, I am planning to put Lazy Jacks of some kind on my boat (36') and I am wondering if anyone has some genuine feedback on EZ JAX.
Do they chafe the sail at all, can you still use a boom tent? etc.
Thanks all in advance
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 04:01   #7
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkel View Post
Hi all, I am planning to put Lazy Jacks of some kind on my boat (36') and I am wondering if anyone has some genuine feedback on EZ JAX.
Do they chafe the sail at all, can you still use a boom tent? etc.
Thanks all in advance

If they're long enough to pull back to the cleat in an L shape on the mast, as mine are, neither will be a problem. But mine is made from the leftovers of a Stack Pack that was a real pain and bother, so I don't know brands. But that's the trick -- pull them back to the mast when not catching a sail.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 04:09   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we are making lazy jacks for my nearly 20 ft main boom--is difficult to drop and stow that sail while under way, so the jacks remain in place while sailing for safety reasons. real lazy jacks are used while sailing--they do not chafe sails and are useful to retrieve sail when underway, especially when necessary to retrieve sail in windy situations.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 04:44   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

We have lazy jacks on our current boat: with an 18' boom and a P of 42', the mainsail is just way too big too manage without. I always sail with them in-situ, and have never had to pull them into the mast. No chafe problems. Just leave them loose enough so they aren't rubbing hard against the sail when hoisted, and you'll be fine.

We also use a boom tent at anchor. Lazy jacks are no problem with our set up, but this may depend on the length of your boom.
Old 15-05-2013, 08:06   #10

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36

I have Jiffy Jax: Jiffy Jax - The Fast and Easy Sail-Flaking System
Installed over the winter.
I can't recommend this guy enough. The price is very resonable, given the quality of the materials and workmanship. You just call and give him your numbers, and he custom-designs it ready to install in less than an hour. Several different options. A bunch of extra hardware is included, even though the website seems to indicate there is a small charge for extras like blocks and cleats. There was even a little tuperware tub of lanocoat. Splicing quality is great...I used thimbles verses rings, the rings would be cool too, personal preference. If he doesn't answer phone, call back later, he'll answer eventually and he is very friendly & accomodating.
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 10:52   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Made my lazy jacks with four brass rings, a few small padeyes, two small cheek blocks, a couple of cleats and a couple hundred feet of 1/4" double braid. Took a 1/2 day to set up, much of which was installing the cheek blocks about 1/2 way between the spreaders and mast head. The jacks spend all their time pulled up against the mast except when I'm dropping the main. Pull the jack lines forward and hook under their belayng cleat on the mast. Only takes a few seconds to store and/or deploy. No problem with sail cover with the LJ lines pulled forward. Sail cover has cut outs for lazy jack lines but it's way more of a hassle to deal with the LJ's in place than to pull them forward. Cost about a $100.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2013, 14:09   #12

Boat: Robertson 950
Thanks to you all for sharing, just need to work out what will work best for me, EZJAX or one of the other systems. I too need to have some sail stowing system in place, just don't have so ,any options down here but I guess all companies will freight it to Sydney.
Cheers
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:08   #13

Boat: Catalina 36
Quote:
Thanks to you all for sharing, just need to work out what will work best for me, EZJAX or one of the other systems. I too need to have some sail stowing system in place, just don't have so ,any options down here but I guess all companies will freight it to Sydney.
Cheers
I've been told that you don't need to use a "system". You can design your own for probably much cheaper with a couple blocks and line. I'm working mine out soon.
Tide Roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:18   #14

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: Lazy Jacks

Lazy Jacks were designed originally to be left in situ. As long as they are loosely tied when sailing there should be no chaff.

With newer designs and the tighter fittings there could be a problem with chafe on the sail.

My advice would be to leave them up when sailing, as it makes for easy crash down sail in an emergency.

take you r choice and Good Luck
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 00:48   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Cheers
You can make your own lazy jacks - they are easy.

Or you can check out the Dutchman sail flaking system

I just installed this - it is great!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote