Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 15:51   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 38
Lazy Jacks

please enlighten me: what is the difference between a thread and a post? At the bottom og the list it says "New Thjread" But I want to make a new post to add to the information above???
Anyway, I have a catamaran and need to replace the lazy jacks. Any suggestions as to what rope, fittings, knots to sail-cover. Should the stern-most rope go all the way back to the topping lift area? Thanks in advance
aquaslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 16:06   #2

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Lazy Jacks

You started a thread with a post. I answered with a post now we're on a thread. I don't have one yet but I definitely want to make my own stow boom which is basically a sail cover that is secured to the boom with the top open ( closable with a zipper or Velcro)and attached to the lazy Jack's so that when you lower your Mainsail it drops into the Sail cover and all you have to do is zip it up. If you want to post on someone else's thread just hit reply. And if you post on someone else's thread and it's off topic it's called a drift. Sometimes the best information is shared that way.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 18:44   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

This is a post.

The OP started the thread, original post.

Thus you are the OP, original poster.

You can edit a post for a while.

Mods can delete posts or the thread, or close the thread from further posts.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 19:10   #4

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaslav View Post
please enlighten me: what is the difference between a thread and a post? At the bottom og the list it says "New Thjread" But I want to make a new post to add to the information above???
Anyway, I have a catamaran and need to replace the lazy jacks. Any suggestions as to what rope, fittings, knots to sail-cover. Should the stern-most rope go all the way back to the topping lift area? Thanks in advance
I need to replace mine too. Mine are a four leg design where the main line branches, and then each branch branches again. The lines are so worn that they are difficult to grip without tearing skin from your hands. I'm thinking of using a solid white nylon line and keeping the layout.

But I want to make one significant change. Raising the main is always a pain in the butt, dealing with getting the battens past the lazy jacks. I'd like to try adding a line on each side, attached to the first branching point of the lazy jack, and running out to the shroud at a small pulley, then down the shroud to the deck. When it's time to hoist the main I can use this line to spread the lazy jacks open several feet and make raising the main considerably easier.

The problem being broad reaches and downwind runs. The boom will want to swing to one side, and this lazy jack assistance line will pull against the opposite side. I think the unnecessary pressure will wear the lazy jack lines and pulleys unnecessarily quickly.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:04   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Antigua 38

You are describing a standard sail cover with lazy jacks attached to the battens or whatever rod runs parallel from mast to stern end of boom. My first Cat had lazy jacks that actually looped around the boom. They had to be pulled towards the stern before sail drop. Before raising the sail the loops were pulled towards the mast. Once out of the way the sail was free to go up. This also reduced chafe on the sail
aquaslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 09:37   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaslav View Post
You are describing a standard sail cover with lazy jacks attached to the battens or whatever rod runs parallel from mast to stern end of boom. My first Cat had lazy jacks that actually looped around the boom. They had to be pulled towards the stern before sail drop. Before raising the sail the loops were pulled towards the mast. Once out of the way the sail was free to go up. This also reduced chafe on the sail

Toward the mast ... that’s the obvious solution ... haha! Thanks for that.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote