Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 08:17   #1

Boat: Farrier F-39 (In Progress)
Kickback Dinghy Daggerboard

Hi Guys,

I just picked up a nice little 12' sailing dinghy complete with trailer. It's an older model (1972), but seems to be pretty well built and is in good/fair condition. We took it out to the boat ramp last night for a test float - just to check for leaks and test out the Dagger board operation. As you might have guessed, we had some problems getting the board out of the slot. The board DOES come out, but I'm guessing there should be some sort of downhaul arrangement? We brought it home and took it all apart. The PO had put some PVC/Bondo in place of a pulley arrangement so I removed all that. In the process, I found a broken wire rope/pulley stuck up in the trunk. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm referring to. I guess my main question is whether this sort of daggerboard arrangement needs a "downhaul" or if its weight alone brings the daggerboard down into the water? If it should have a downhaul in place, a picture or an explanation or maybe even a web link of how it can be/should be built and arranged would be most helpful. The pictures attached will show the daggerboard removed with the "uphaul" line attached. The pulley with the broken wire, the daggerboard trunk and then the daggerboard trunk with the wooden cap on top but not attached. Thanks a bunch! (Also, if you need better pictures from different angles - just let me know that too)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daggerboard2.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	16809   Click image for larger version

Name:	daggerboardTrunk.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	16810  

Name:	pulley.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	16811   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrunkCap.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	373.9 KB
ID:	16812  

DallasAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:58   #2

Centerboard!

Sorry - that's a Centerboard, not a Daggerboard...
Old 08-06-2010, 09:07   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
There is usually a pulley system that allows you to pull the centerboard down it will float up. If you can find the name/type of boat that would be helpful. Perhaps there is a website that would help you.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39   #4

No DataPlate

Thanks Charlie! Unfortunately there is no data plate on the boat. If there was, it has long since been removed. The title lists "SeaLion" as the manufacturer, but I'm thinking this was just the name of the boat, not the builder. The Centerboard is solid fiberglass (no foam) so it's pretty heavy. It may just go down on it's own once it's cleaned up..? For $400 including trailer I don't think I can go too far wrong here!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:47   #5

Sounds like a pretty good deal. Can you take a picture so that we can see the entire boat. It may be that someone can ID it just by looking at it. Otherwise it is just a matter of figuring out how to get the pulley's to work so that they pull the centerboard down. Usually it is not that hard. I am not super experienced with dinghy's but have never seen a centerboard that doesn't float. You can stick it in the tub or shallow water if it doesn't sink it will need to be pulled down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 08-06-2010, 10:32   #6

It sinks!

I had my son go down the the lake and throw the centerboard in... to his dismay it sunk like a stone! Good thing I told him to hold onto the rope! Anyway, I'm thinking now with a new pivot pin and a pulley (in place of wood chunks and bondo) it might go down just fine. I've included some pics in case someone can identify the make and model. Please excuse the mess in the garage - it's pouring outside, so I couldn't drag it out for pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	16813   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	16814  

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	16815  
Old 08-06-2010, 10:53   #7

I guess if it sinks then the pulleys are going to be needed to hold the center board up in the trunk. On second thought you will need both to hold it down and up. It willneed to be held down whent he boat is moving the force of the water will want to push it back toward the trunk. Good luck with the repair looks like a great deal for $400. I can't id the make though

Charlie

Joseph Conrad