Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 06:48   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Re: Ketch or Cutter Rig

That's the one sail I needed for Oh Joy was a flying Yankee. I had a 150 on the forestay furler and it was a you know what to tack with the staysail stay in place. Thanks heavens for detacheable stays. The boat certainly looked sweet with six rags flying on a broad run.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:01   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

A Ketch is easier on everything accept the pocket book when it comes time to replace rigging and sails.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:37   #33
Marine Service Provider

Re: Ketch or Cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
Yes, I concur with his opinion. Ketches are like VW camper vans...a perfect choice for not enough people to continue to bother making them. That has nothing to do with their inherent qualities, but the sort of people who would really make use of a ketch are few in number, and they aren't really daysailer material and require more actual seamanship than a sloop.

If you possess or can develop that knowledge, however, they are a great option for safely going around the world at a nice steady five knots.
There's actually few builders making real cruising boats of any sort. You'd be surprised at how often ketches arrive at the destinations earlier than their sloop or cutter rigged counterparts. I agree with you that they aren't exactly daysailer material. I'd much rather go out for a daysail on a friend's First 42 than our boat but on a passage I appreciate the smooth ride and better off the wind performance than many other cruising boats.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:56   #34

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

The flying jib lapped the staysail just slightly, so it was easy to tack by releasing one sheet and tightening the other.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:20   #35

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

On our recent trip from Rock Hall to the Caribbean and back I think I could probably count the number of times we tacked on my fingers. It just wasnt necessary most of the time on the ocean passages where we tacked three times on the way down and maybe once or twice on the way back. Down in the islands I stayed put if the wind wasnt right and just sailed to the next island until I was outside the anchorage, fired up the engine for a few minutes until the hook was down. That kind of cruising makes how hard it is to tack kind of unimportant compared to things like how well the boat sails in a trade wind.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:18   #36
Marine Service Provider

sck5,

My experience is that most of the criticism of ketches comes from people who have never made a passage on one. As you point out, the realities of cruising can be different than what the armchair cruisers perceive. Some friends of ours, who coincidentally are senior citizens, have cruised extensively in their Amel. During their Atlantic crossing they went close to a week with the balooner poled to one side, genoa to the other, and boatspeed never dropping below 7.5 knots. Aside from checking for chafe there wasn't much in the way of trimming.
islandplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 16:38   #37

Boat: PETERSON 44
My old ketch was cutter rigged and had a mizzen staysl. I remember sailing into Newport with every stitch flying I watched the guests on the lawn at castle hill stand up and watch as we sailed past. Lots of sail options is a plus turning heads is fun. Then i noticed a 16 meter passing me windward maybe they were looking at me. Still fun
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 17:15   #38

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

Our vessel is both, ketch and cutter rigged forward. Lots of sail options, and with the stay and mizzen raised, we sit her where we want to deal with other sails etc..
More strings to pull than the previous sloop we owned but absolutely balances like a dream.
cheers
witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 19:16   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Not much wind but here we are with kite, jib,cutter staysail, main mizzen staysail, mizzen. Its important to sail fast, look good, have a good time - pick two.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA100019.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	391.3 KB
ID:	33255  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:08   #40

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
On our recent trip from Rock Hall to the Caribbean and back I think I could probably count the number of times we tacked on my fingers. It just wasnt necessary most of the time on the ocean passages where we tacked three times on the way down and maybe once or twice on the way back. Down in the islands I stayed put if the wind wasnt right and just sailed to the next island until I was outside the anchorage, fired up the engine for a few minutes until the hook was down. That kind of cruising makes how hard it is to tack kind of unimportant compared to things like how well the boat sails in a trade wind.
Agreed. My last passage as crew, we stayed on a starboard tack for nine days. We sure changed course, mind you, but the weather systems more or less rotated around us, giving us pretty well the same apparent wind direction.

Apart from the squalls, mind you!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 19:47   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Ah, we're doing ketch pics :-)

(all Dashew yachts)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote