Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 20:54   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Keeping My Re-Rigging Cost Down

I have gotten a good Cascade 29 with a solid hull and nice condition. However it hasn't sailed mush in the last 13 years and I want to cruise and need to do some rerigging. The way I se it is there are three major rig types I need to change.

1. blocks, winches, sheet system, shackles, those things
2. lines
3. cables, fittings, an d turnbuckles.

So far I have number one pretty well covered. I replaced all the old pieces it had on it, and got a new tiller.

Next I'm working on the standing rigging. I got two turnbuckles today for the upper shrouds. After I get 2 more next pyday for the stays I'm going to move on to the lines that need changing the most.

What my question is is does this sound like a solid plan? WHat should my priorities be and what is typically the parts that fail if something does?

I have yet to sail her, I'm terrified of losing my stick, but I think I am being too paranoid. How important is it to replace the cables, not just the fittings. They look good, I've seen some boats where they are splitting and unwinding. But mine all look and feel nice.

Do I need to go through and replace every little piece, from the smallest screw to the tiniest cotter pin? At what pointis my boat seaworthy? I am sailing on a budget and would like to get to the northern west coast from Hawai'i this summer.

Also, wen I was looking at blocks, the same sized block could range from 21.99-165.99. What level do I need?

I want to cruise, and I'm going to have to make some sacrifices if I'm going to make it this summer.
northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 21:32   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Do you know how old the standing rigging is? I have heard ten years is the life of standing rigging but have sailed on boats whose standing rigging was much older than that. I would suggest that if you plan on sailing from Hawaii to the US West coast the mast is going to be critical to getting back b/c you cannot carry enough fuel to motor all the way. Take a rag and run it over the rigging if anything snags it will be time to get new rigging. For blocks look at Garhauer Garhauer Marine Hardware -773729 they sell quality blocks at reasonable prices.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 21:37   #3

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
We have defrayed the cost of replacing standing rigging by spreading it out over several years. The thing that is probably most likely to break is the 1x19 stainless wire shrouds & stays (typically at a swage), so we replaced all that first. We will replace all the clevis pins this year and the turnbuckles next year, etc. That way, we split the cost over several years, but still end up with everything replaced.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging