Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 21:17   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Keep the Dodger ?

So the 32ft flush/raised deck Dreadnought that I bought last year came with a stoutly built dodger in nice condition.
I don't have much off-shore experience and I fear that my lack of such experience is, in part, what's informing my desire to sell the dodger and do without. I sail in Southern California waters and don't like dodgers now. I hate having to stoop out from under it when I am comming out the companionway. I don't like how it interferes with my view and so far in spite of being out on some pretty wet days I don't worry much about the protection. Our intention is to make for warm waters when we go.

I would love to hear from folks with some multi-day passages/open ocean crossings behind them regarding their opinions of the value of a dodger.

Thanks!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:24   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
I would sooner do without a motor then a dodger... .
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 21:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
We had a dodger that just covered the companionway on our Westsail.
being so narrow. it didn't affect forward vision enough to even mention. It did give a place to sit on watch, out of the elements, going to weather or when it was ugly out. It also allowed us to leave the companionway open during rainstorms and inclement weather at anchor. This was a must have as the boat got real stuffy instantly with the companionway closed. We made it really easy to fold down but never did in two years of cruising.

My current boat has a full width dodger and I really don't like it except when it rains. Even though the windows have just been replaced, can't see clearly through it. When it's up, find myself constantly having to look around it for traffic. It's too tall for me to see over unless I stand on the cockpit seats. It was designed flat across the top. In the rain at the marina, the material sags and water pools dripping dead center into the companionway. It is about two inches shy of coming back far enough to keep rain from coming into the companionway. Have to keep the lower hatch board in to keep the rain out. I dig it out when it rains and take it off as soon as the rain is over. Still, when I leave for Hawaii in a couple of months, the dodger will be up and doubt that it will come down till I reach the Islands.

If you are going anywhere with your boat, other than daysails, keep the dodger. You'll learn to love it out on the big ocean or anchored in inclement wx.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 22:58   #4

A dodger and a windvane are two deck comforts that I really can't deal with out. They both cost a few bucks but make an amazing difference. A cold day in the cockpit would otherwise be bone chilling freezing without a dodger. They're so nice as a place to nuzzle up under in crappy weather.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 02:38   #5

Boat: Islander 36
On your way to warm waters you will be glad you have it. Store it now and put it back on for the trip south. Sell it later.

My sail from So Cal to Cabo would truely have been miserable without one.
Old 30-03-2010, 02:48   #6

Keep the dodger!
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 03:14   #7

Boat: Colvin Gazelle
sun

sun sun sun sun sun wind wind wind wind rain rain rain rain
My dodger is my best friend
Old 30-03-2010, 03:50   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The first time I did a long offshore passage was with a friend on his boat. No dodger. It was absolutely miserable during the three day gale we sailed through. My own boat had a dodger and full bimini. What a difference. We made several passages with even worse weather, and stayed warm and dry. When we reached the tropics, it provided shade and allowed us to keep the companionway hatch open when it rained.

Don't leave home without it!
Old 30-03-2010, 08:02   #9

Boat: Pearson 281
Y'all are great! Thanks. Nothing like the voice of experience.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 08:55   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41
Dodgers help to extend the season too. On those bitterly cold So Cal days when the temps sink into the 50's tucking up under the dodger in the warm sun and no wind makes the day work better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 09:05   #11

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
It rained thismorning.. kinda muggy out so we kept the hatch and boards open for a little air.. the dodger provided a nice shelter from the rain.. durring the summer we often pull all the panels from the dodger and it kinda resembles a small bimini over the hatch and a sunshade..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 10:00   #12

Does your sailing include women?

We have a nice, full width dodger on our boat. My wife is pretty happy while I bash upwind in 25 kts, so long as she is snug and dry tucked under the dodger. She leans back against the cabin trunk with a cushion and enjoys a beautiful day.

Without a dodger she would sail upwind with me in wind and chop exactly once, and then I'd probably sell the boat, because I don't want to cruise alone. Most women don't like face shots of cold brine.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 10:09   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Perhaps price up the cost of adding a new Dodger. If you later regret your decision to sell you may be horrified. or merely shocked at the cost of replacement...........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 11:57   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
There's a reason they're called Dodgers and not Getintheway....ers
Keep it, try it, if you hate it you can always get rid of it.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 14:18   #15

You must not sail much when it's cold and blowing like stink Either that or you like wearing foul weather gear or bring wet and cold. Me I hate being cold. What I do like is sitting behind my dodger dry and out of the wind and spray all the while beating into a 25kt breeze. Usually drinking a beer and smoking a cigar. With a tiller I can sit all the way forward, right behind the dodger, and still reach the tiller.

If dodgers were outlawed I'd have to give up a lot of the sailing season...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodger