Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-06-2010, 18:44   #1

Jumping Genoa Cars

I've got 32mm genoa track with Lewmar cars and when sailing downwind-ish, i.e. with the cars maybe halfway or more down the track, the occasional flogging of the genoa sheet is enough to wobble the car from side to side and allow the spring-loaded pin to work upwards until it eventually rides up far enough that it loses any purchase with the track and the car shoots backwards, making a nasty noise and more to the point wearing the edge of the holes in the track. I've replaced the plastic "sliders" where the car meets the track but it's made no difference, the springs and pins look fine, I've pre-tensioned the springs a bit (alright, stretched them) and even tried bungee over the top of the pins to hold them down, but no luck so far. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 04-06-2010, 19:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Reverse them so that the pins are facing the opposite direction wither for or aft. It is worth a try.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43   #3

Yes, already tried that. The problem seems to be that the cars rock from side to side and this works the pin up against the pressure of the spring. It's very strange and I really can't find anything apparently wrong with the cars or track but I think I might have to take the radical step or replacing the cars...ouch!
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Okay one more idea is there anyway that you can get slow the side to side motion. Something like a spring or a piece of hose or something else that would dampen the side to side motion between the car and the pulley. I bet even some lashing with the right sized cord would be worth a try before spending the $$$$ on new cars.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Sounds like you replaced the sliders. Now it's time to change the tracks probably. They shouldn't wobble, IMO.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:54   #6

Boat: Tayana 55
Once set mine get a safety line to the mid-ship cleat...Its hell when they slip with an 1100 sq ft genoa up and rip out the end fittings. I need a Garhauer block system but the line is cheaper and I am a cruisers so I only trim the sails the mandatory once every 2 days anyway!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 16:17   #7

The strange thing is that the track looks perfect, no anodising worn away and no lumps missing, and the cars look equally fine, in fact resplendent with their new slides...I think a line to a cleat may be the short term answer...we're not fanatical trimmers either and rope's cheaper than cars!
Old 07-06-2010, 20:50   #8

I wonder... Do you think think lubricating the holes would help? uh-oh, did I just open myself up for a lot of abuse?
What I meant was, maybe the pin could not work its' way up the hole, it would keep sliding back down.
I'm having the same problem, but after reading the posts, I just thought of this idea. Wada ya think? I'm gonna try it.
Marc
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56   #9

Boat: Bristol 29
Is the slide part of your genoa car stainless or aluminum? If stainless, the extra play may be so it can accommodate a nylon shim to keep the stainless slide from touching the aluminum track and eventually corroding the track. Perhaps you have lost the shims and need replacements?
Old 08-06-2010, 17:12   #10

The whole car is cast aluminium, but the (removable) part that contacts the track is hard plastic. The only part that could wear is this hard plastic "slider" which, although they looked perfect, I replaced with new ones. Didn't make the slightest bit of difference unfortunately...

Not sure about the lubricating the holes idea (I'll refrain from making the joke...) but let me know how you get on!
Old 08-06-2010, 17:32   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Have you contacted Lewmar? They may have a known problem.
Old 09-06-2010, 16:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Have you contacted Lewmar? They may have a known problem.
Yep, tried that too - I got one or two half-hearted replies before they started ignoring me!
Old 09-06-2010, 17:21   #13

Boat: grampian 26
yumping yib cars

It sounds like the pins are too short or the holes in the track aren't deep enough. Failng that what about a screw down lock? A little inconvenient but secure.
Old 09-06-2010, 18:42   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It sounds like the cars aren't tight enough to the track. If you can easily rattle them around, I'd look for a way to add some shim stock, either IN the cars, or over the entire top of the track, so that there's much less wiggle room. If you can crazy glue some bronze shim stock into the cars, that should be cheap and also help "lubricate" them when you do want to slide them.

A quick test might be to use a couple of layers of (what else?) duct tape as a temporary shim.
Old 11-06-2010, 16:48   #15

Yes, you're right, that will surely solve the problem, I'll give it a go when I can get some suitable material........

Tags
Genoa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: