Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2010, 15:28   #1

Jeanneau Sun Fast 36 - Short-Handed Setup

I was just looking at a Jeanneau Sun Fast 36 that is near me which I am interested in viewing.

I want the boat to be able to sailed short handed or solo. There are several Jeanneau's that interest me bit the do the annoying thing of placing the genoa track on the cabin roof and lead the sheets to the wince that is on the roof as well.

The 36 at least has the main track in front of the steering pedestal.

I have seen yachts with genoa winches mounted on metal brackets to the side of the cockpit and wonder if that wound be a viable option for this boat? I can imaging there could be issues taking the sheet from the roof. The other option I guess would to be to ad a deck mounted genoa track and mout the outboard winches

These are large photos of the cockpit area and I am wondering if it is practical and possible to setup winches relatively easily from the helm.

Is this easily doable?

The photos are large so I linked them
http://sydostmarin.se/images/com_jea...y/P1020158.JPG

http://sydostmarin.se/images/com_jea...y/P1020158.JPG

http://sydostmarin.se/images/com_jea/images/46/main.jpg
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 11:54   #2

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
hoppy,
First, remember that the tension on a genoa sheet is huge. Then, to avoid the winch being pulled from the deck, you would have to put a thick backing pad under it. If the deck is made of sandwich, this isn't easy to do, because you have to remove the sandwich core and replace it with something much stronger. This implies removing the inner skin of the deck.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 12:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Hoppy, if you are sailing solo or short handed you are going to need an auto pilot, so whilst that is steering the yacht, what stops you using the winch on the cabin top?

When the auto pilot is running I am normally in front of the wheel not behind it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 13:36   #4

Thanks for the comments... The boat is already sold, so now it is no issue, back to looking.

Pete, call me old fashioned, but I would like to be within reach of the winch and the wheel at the same time especially when tacking

Most of my sailing experience come from 23+ years ago and we never had an autopilot, so holding the helm and winching is what I am used to. Admittedly, when I went sailing at the start of the year with my father, I never touched the helm because the autopilot was so novel to me. I was happy to adjust the autopilot. Never tried the auto tacking.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau